Homemade Keg And Fermenter Washer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
Hi all,

being a lazy brewer I decided to make keg washer, as I was finding pulling them apart for a good clean too much work :p

I went shopping and got the following parts;
1 meter 15mm pvc pipe
2 x 15mm PVC T's
3 x 15mm PVC end caps
1 x 15mm PVC joiner
1 x 15mm to 1/2 inch bsp male thread

I also used the following bits that I had lying around;
1 mayo bucket with lid
1 pair keg disconnects
1 submersible pump
1 meter 6 mm pvc hose

method:
Cut three lengths of about 40mm from the pvc pipe and one length about 100 mm.
Drill a 6mm hole in the end of two of the end caps.
Drill a few 4mm holes in the remaining endcap so as to make a spray head.
IMG_0690.JPG
Cut a hole in the lid of the bucket, as per the picture
Bucket.JPG
Assemble the pvc as follows, 100 mm piece into the threaded adapter and into one of the Tees.
One 40mm length to join the Tee's, the other two 40mm lengths to attach the two end caps to the tees.
Remainder of the pvc pipe into the Tee.
screw the assembly onto the pipe and place the whole lot into the bucket.
Place a keg on the lid and mark the upright for length, make it about 50 mm shorter than the keg.
Place the spray head end cap onto the end of the tube.
Cut the hose in half and place one end on the disconnect and the other end in the holw in the Tee piece end caps.
IMG_0689.JPG
To use it simply fill the bucket with cleaning solution, I use napisan and water.
place the pump in the bucket, place the inverted keg on top and connect the disconnects.
turn the pump on and leave it for 10 minutes and have a beer.

when you come back the keg will be sparkling clean.

IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG

total cost excluding the parts on hand was under $10.

I have now cut the upright at a height so it will fit my fermenters. I'm using the joiner to add the top piece when I want to clean a keg.

hope this might help some othe rlazy brewers :D

I like it. Simple, effective, well done!

Cheers SJ

You're a real ideas man!

Nice job!

How are the hoses attached to the end caps? Are they just jammed into the holes?

If so, any issues of them leaking when the whole thing is attached and some pressure is placed on the joins?

Cheers.

Nice job!

How are the hoses attached to the end caps? Are they just jammed into the holes?

If so, any issues of them leaking when the whole thing is attached and some pressure is placed on the joins?

Cheers.
Agreed , nice job...
One of my disconnects doesn't have a hose clamp on it and it's able to handle the pressure of serving beer , no problem ,without leaks....
Ferg

dont want to take away from your good work there moray but always been a wee bit mystified why brewers pull their kegs apart, afterall they are normally topped with gas and their cold, hardly a place for contamination. My cleaning of kegs is let it sit under gas until I am close in need to reuse it, a hose out, a couple of litres of hot water with a half teaspoon of percarbonate...shake shake shake, long nose pliers on the beer and gas out to let some cleanser up the stems. Sits for a day upside down, right way up sideways, generally what ever way I kick it. Next day 5 litres of boiling and really go to town on blowing the stems. Store it dry if not needed asap, before use, hose the spider webs out and blow the stems out again. Thats it. No sanitiser either for me.

dont want to take away from your good work there moray but always been a wee bit mystified why brewers pull their kegs apart, afterall they are normally topped with gas and their cold, hardly a place for contamination. My cleaning of kegs is let it sit under gas until I am close in need to reuse it, a hose out, a couple of litres of hot water with a half teaspoon of percarbonate...shake shake shake, long nose pliers on the beer and gas out to let some cleanser up the stems. Sits for a day upside down, right way up sideways, generally what ever way I kick it. Next day 5 litres of boiling and really go to town on blowing the stems. Store it dry if not needed asap, before use, hose the spider webs out and blow the stems out again. Thats it. No sanitiser either for me.

Christ, i would be lucky if i do half that.... I simply leave them closed until i need them & rinse them with hot water / perc for 10 minutes, store upside down.

Christ, i would be lucky if i do half that.... I simply leave them closed until i need them & rinse them with hot water / perc for 10 minutes, store upside down.
God,
All of mine get a rinse , then pbw ,then pressurised , a good shake,gassed up ,pbw thru both posts , then rinse and then iodopher and then pressurisedand stored with a placcy bad over the top to keep dust and crap off them...everytime..lol
:lol:
Ferg

God,
All of mine get a rinse , then pbw ,then pressurised , a good shake,gassed up ,pbw thru both posts , then rinse and then iodopher and then pressurisedand stored with a placcy bad over the top to keep dust and crap off them...everytime..lol
:lol:
Ferg

Their kegs Ferg not kittens!

Agreed , nice job...
One of my disconnects doesn't have a hose clamp on it and it's able to handle the pressure of serving beer , no problem ,without leaks....
Ferg

Not wondering so much about how the hose attaches to the disconnect, I know they have a barbed fitting on them which holds a hose nicely. I'm wondering how the hoses connect to the pvc end caps.

It looks like they are just shoved into a tight hole drilled into the cap - if so, it's interesting that they seal well - it's quite different to get a hose to fit inside a hole like that than to have it stretched over a hosetail.

I like it. I have been thinking about doing something similar, and was asking at work about suitable pumps for this application only yesterday. Nothing like a pump doing the work for you, especially recirculating through posts and especially if you are drinking yeasty beer.

The holes in the endcaps are slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the hose.
I cut the hose ens at an angle and heated it in hot water until it became maliable
it was then quickly pushed into the hole. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the end from the inside and pulled it the rest of the way through.

I had thought about using cable ties on the inside to prevent it from pulling out, but it doesn't need them, the fit is tight enough and
my pump is a small one, probably only rated to about 1000 lph, so the pressure is not very much.

wow .. you guys have got me thinking now.
I've been completely stripping every keg after every use ... removing the dip tubes and the PRV from the lid.

hmmmmm

where can i get a cheap pump....

I played with recircing cleaner through kegs. Now I only ever do that if I get a new keg or I've had one sitting around for a long time.

When my kegs blow, I keep them in the fridge full of CO2. You beer doesn't magically become dirty or infected so neither will an empty (well full of CO2) keg. When it comes time to refil it I just hose it out and refil. Sometimes I get a bit of crap on the bottom of the keg that doesn't want to move, but the water pressure sprayer moves that fast. If I feel really bored I sometime get out the 'uterus'. Bascially it is just a length of clear hose that has a hose fitting on one end, a T on the other end, into a gas in and a beer out disconnect. Hook it up and you have main pressure blowing water through the dip tubes.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back