Homemade Hopback? Ideas Wanted.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo6

Relax? Don't worry?? It's not just an internet for
Reaction score
A few months ago while scavenging through my father's now defunct dairy I came across the old milk sock filter. Its been sitting in the shed for awhile now and I've been trying to figure out what I could use it for. It was too big for a RIMS and too tight for a HERMS so I just tucked it away out of sight.
I pulled it out today while cleaning the shed and wondered if it would be suitable for a hopback? I thought a couple of perforated plates and some tri clover fittings welded on would be all that was needed. I suspect I'd also need to replace the O rings with silicone ones as I doubt the originals were designed for boiling temps.
Anyway I thought I'd put some pics up and ask for some ideas or guidance as to what I could do with it. Is it too big to be practical? Could I use it for something else? Somebody inspire me, please.

20130811_201346.jpg 20130811_201506.jpg

Haven't measured it yet but it's about 800mm long and 90mm wide?

I hate you right now.Its true I really really trully do...

That thing packed with whole flowers would.....nah **** it....you need to send it to me for long term testing and certification.

And....If some bloke called Ross contacts you saying he was a scrap metal merchant in a former life then tell him the only offer you can possibly accept is shares in a brewery

I think back to about 10years ago when we cleaned out a HEAP of stainless vessels and aluminium for scrap. Absolutely kicking myself now. Cant remember what we sold the vat for but it would have been sweet FA.

Bump for the morning crowd.

Will this idea work?

Lovely. Now to source some parts.

When my plants yield a worthwhile crop I plan on adapting an old water filter liker this and giving it a shot.

IMG_4479_edited-1.jpg

Or an old jar. At least if the ideas a fizzer, It'll make a half decent *bong.

2zyfqmp.jpg

​*for novelty purposes only.

Ive got an aldi randall but wouldnt put hot wort through it. Must get some more flowers from yob and hook it back up come to think of it. Mmmmm

I see bunnings now stock thin metal pipe right next to their thick vinyl tube. Located next to the cafe so you can grab a fresh bottle of juice on your way out.

Got inspired today and jerry-rigged a simple hop-back. I've used an old SS sink strainer at one end and a QD at the other. I'll probably put a tap on the outlet to slow the flow. Not sure how I'll use it yet as I don't use a plate chiller but might experiment with pumping cooled wort through it.

20140412_155554.jpg20140412_155520.jpg20140412_155531.jpg

Nice work work! when I first saw this I thought of the fine SS mesh(0.2mm) a couple of the hop baskets from the states use, this would also mean it would be able to be used as a trub filter, and avoiding blockages of a plate chiller.

10c

Cheers MB, just had a look at Stilldragon's site and might pick up a couple of filter plates to modify and maybe tig a bit of 8mm thread down the guts a bit like a Blichmann hop rocket. Would be nice to be able to use pellets in it.

I have seen one similare to Daves "bong" that was filled with stainless steel wool scrubbing thingo's. They acted as a filter. The hops went in first then the stainless wool. Of course you need a ling tube and short tube.

I'm gonna try that with some hop pellets some time. Maybe throw the scrubbies in first, then a coarse strainer, then a shitload of pellets, then pump wort in threw the top. Might work or it might block up and spew wort everywhere.

I recently did a mini version of what you've made:
2" diameter SS pipe, 150mm long & threaded at each end, w a 2" to 1/2" reducer at each end and a hosetail barb in each reducer. I put 2 pieces of SS mesh cut from a kitchen strainer (0.8mm?) into it at one end.
I threw in ~20g (?) of hops pellets then gravity-fed wort thru it. It flowed for 10secs then blocked. Faffed around for a bit and finally cracked it open (did I mention it was *really* hot by now?) to find the soggy, expanded hops clogging it. Dumped the hops into the kettle and ran wort thru it again. 10 secs later it blocked again. Opened it the find trub was now collecting on the mesh and blocking it - yes I'd whirlpooled and had filters at the outlet. Ended up bypassing it and just ran wort straight to the plate chiller. Epic fail after months of planning, sourcing and finally constructing :/
Not sure if a little brown pump would've solved the problem. Or better outlet filters. Or if I'd used flowers (the next experiment to come!). I've already ditched the mesh for some wound SS wire (from a wok-strainer thingy).
Just letting you know how my experience with the pellets went. I'd probably try a wide gauge mesh and use flowers first time.

Cheers tb66, the plan is to mainly use flowers though I may try pellets with a heap of ss scrubbies like in pic. Probably not cost effective as I doubt they'd be worth cleaning and reusing but worth a try for a real hop bomb of a beer. Cheers for the heads up. I plan on using a pump but need to pressure test it as I've plugged a hole with a silicone bung (ghetto safety valve).

images.jpeg

technobabble66 said:
I recently did a mini version of what you've made:
2" diameter SS pipe, 150mm long & threaded at each end, w a 2" to 1/2" reducer at each end and a hosetail barb in each reducer. I put 2 pieces of SS mesh cut from a kitchen strainer (0.8mm?) into it at one end.
I threw in ~20g (?) of hops pellets then gravity-fed wort thru it. It flowed for 10secs then blocked. Faffed around for a bit and finally cracked it open (did I mention it was *really* hot by now?) to find the soggy, expanded hops clogging it. Dumped the hops into the kettle and ran wort thru it again. 10 secs later it blocked again. Opened it the find trub was now collecting on the mesh and blocking it - yes I'd whirlpooled and had filters at the outlet. Ended up bypassing it and just ran wort straight to the plate chiller. Epic fail after months of planning, sourcing and finally constructing :/
Not sure if a little brown pump would've solved the problem. Or better outlet filters. Or if I'd used flowers (the next experiment to come!). I've already ditched the mesh for some wound SS wire (from a wok-strainer thingy).
Just letting you know how my experience with the pellets went. I'd probably try a wide gauge mesh and use flowers first time.
Oh man. I was reading though your post thinking "Yep, awesome, great, bravo TB66" "I'm gunna make one of these" etc,etc,etc. Then reading further on your struggle with blockages sounds like my battle with disaster on Saturday night after chucking my fresh flowers straight into the kettle (yep, I plead guilty to being judgement impaired) without thinking through the blockage impacts. Ended up syphoning out of the kettle, with constant blockages, much swearing. Made a HELL of a mess. Anyway, have subscribed to this thread & will be continuing my search for answers. But I still like your idea as a base :)

Did the same JB with my first AG Biab. I'd used a ss scrubby wedged under the pickup and it blocked within seconds. Tried prizing it out with no success. I was 3/4's cut by this stage of the night. Ended up starsanning my arm and pulling it out. Drained what I could but in the end I just tipped the keggle into the fermenter, with most of the break and a lot of the flowers. The beer gods smiled upon me as it didn't get infected and still tasted better than my K&K's ever had.
After that night I promised myself to never brew drunk again...hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! As if!

Hahaha! Hopefully those same beer gods take pity on me Camo, hope so. A motherload of hops went into that kettle of skin searing misery!

Latest posts

Back