Homemade Electric Plastic Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydmeddler

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have decided to build myself an electric plastic boiler. I took the element out of a typical kitchen kettle, worked a bit of DIY on it, gave it a try on a square plastic container and it worked a treat. Only thing I need to work on now is a suitable vessel that will withstand scalding 100% wort boiling and splashing around in there for 60 - 90 mins! I was considering a typical brewing bucket or a even a plastic rubbish bin. Any ideas? I would love to see some pics of homemade plastic boilers if any one has any.

Cheers folks

Floyd

Hi John,

Yes, I'm kinda following that web page as a guide line. It definitely works... just as long as I use a HDPE container with the appropriate thickness.

Cheers

Floyd

Floyd i've got a 25L Bunnings 'fermenter' that I've put an $8 Crazy Clarkes kettle element in. I use this as my HLT and it has no problems getting to the boil. It has a decent enough wall thickness on it that it is stable and doesn't get all soft.

I'll refrain from posting a pic or the AHB Electrical Police will arrive.

* bunnings fermenter
* crazy clarks bargain basement element
* good pair of rubber shoes
* increase life insurance policy

easy

* increase life insurance policy
Hearing you on those two :D

Seriously though, make sure the thing isn't going to fall apart while its on the boil. The amount of energy in 25 odd litres of boiling water is amazing, and you don't want it unleashed on your exposed skin. Its like most things in life, you've either got the money or the time, but rarely both.

I suspect this is a case of having the time to construct, but not a lot of money to spend on brew bling (sounds exactly like my current position). Regardless, I'd say a carefully constructed BoD will serve you well from what I've been able to read on the issue. Looks like I might be in on the scene, too.

Cheers - boingk

My 70 litre BOD was still going strong after about 7 years. Now its the back yard rubbish bin.
It is a very heavy duty HDPE syrup drum. The braid was taken off the pickup after this shot.
20060417_%20052.jpg

Picture%2052.jpg

you can sort of see it in the background of this shot.

Recommended safety gear for operation of the Bucket O Death:

1 x 25m roll of aluminium foil

image086.jpg

Also provides the added benefit of preventing the CIA from reading your mind.......

:icon_cheers: SJ

1 x 25m roll of aluminium foil

image086.jpg

Also provides the added benefit of preventing the CIA from reading your mind.......

:icon_cheers: SJ

Classic.

+1 for safety though, maybe a spill area also, or do a test brew outside?

As mentioned above, lots of energy in that much hot wort.

As I'd say to my Dad, Irish safety boots (thongs) a must.

If you knew where I sit in the power industry an invisibility cloak would have been useful. I feel much less hypocritical now I have a non electric boiler.

I have a BOD boiler made from an old fermentor - a homebrew shop one rather than bunnings, so a bit sturdier. Me personally.. I would be a bit nervous about the bunnings fermentor as a boiler ... they distort under the pressure of your hands when you lift them full of fermenting beer. I wouldn'tbe too trustfull of how soggy they might get with boiling wort in them. But the more robust ones would be absolutely fine.

The other thing to perhaps consider is this

price for 30L fermentor from G&G - $35
price for 30L Al stockpot from allquip - $74

price for 60L fermentor from G&G - $69
price for 60L stockpot from allquip - $99

So for around twice the price.. you get a nice solid Aluminium kettle that will take a kettle element every bit as easily as the plastic one - and you will have cut a step out of the inevitable upgrade path that you are unwittingly entering at this very moment.

Take a Birko Boiler. Throw away the stainless steel body and replace it with a plastic brew bin.

You would end up with basically a Pommy Bruheat boiler / mash tun / HLT whatever, sold over there in the tens of thousads. Owned one in the UK, shipped it here and it went for a couple more years before it went to God.

No problems as long as it is properly put together.

I feel like batmans girlfriend in The Dark Knight, when the joker walks up to her at the party and says "You look nerrrrvous"

OOOOHHH, run away scared :ph34r:

Google "cd's old electric wort boiler "
I have one made out of a Chlorine container..36 LTs.
Cheers
PJ

What type of rubber are we talking about?

Last time I saw rubber used to insulate 240 VAC stuff, it cause a short circuit and started a fire. Last time I heard about trucks with rubber tyres coming into contact with OH AC power lines, the rubber tyres exploded and caught on fire.

http://www.upholdtheright.com/gallery/cfa

The moral of the story; DONT use rubber shoes, use those bling plastic ones

Back