Homebrew Article In The Advertiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamt

Too busy (lazy) to brew.
Reaction score
Whisking through the Advertiser (yes, I was that bored) this morning I stumbled across a 2/3 page article on homebrewing, on page 13.

I won't spoil the juicy details but in the article our good friend Jovial Monk is briefly interviewed, which sets the scene for the quality of cutting-edge journalism within.

hmm...I noticed that he is banned here...way before my time

For those who can't bring themselves to pay for the Advertiser:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...56-2682,00.html

Thanks!

I'm no Journo, but in my honest opinion, is it is a poor effort at journalism. If I was reading that and was thinking about starting to do HB for the first time, FAIL. Sure the 20 cents per beer part is good, but still an overall fail when it comes to getting people interested and supplying info, as Journo's should be doing.

Can someone at The Advertiser give me back 1 minute of my life!

Man this article weirded me out as I read it I could imagine the monks face and hear his voice saying what was written spooky to the max!!!! :eek:

It's just another quality one horse town murdock slow news day article, take note it was written by the rural editor. Must have got bored with writting about watching grass grow or kangaroos loose in the top paddock.

I too don't waste my money on this fish chip wrapper of a news paper

well - by the looks of google maps Jovial Monk is my LHBS.... hmmm, I'm going to have to go there and buy some 25kg bags of grain - or am I going to get some spice and molasses?

any other HB stores in adelaide worth noting that sell sacks of grain??

well - by the looks of google maps Jovial Monk is my LHBS.... hmmm, I'm going to have to go there and buy some 25kg bags of grain - or am I going to get some spice and molasses?

any other HB stores in adelaide worth noting that sell sacks of grain??

Beerbelly is North of the city. Will deliver to your door for less than $10.

Thanks Goofinder for the link.
"Mr Smit said home brewing was fun, relatively simple and people enjoyed playing around with spices and molasses.
His two main market segments are young and middle-aged men, often tradespeople, while he also has several women customers.
A Foster's brewing group spokesman said it was too early in the economic cycle to see any great change in total beer sales.
He said long-term data showed beer consumption was declining but the value of sales was increasing as people drank more premium and imported beers.
Coopers Home Brew marketing manager brewing products Scott Harris said sales had increased and were up 5 to 10 per cent in the past quarter."

Well,they say that in hard times people consume more alcohol and tinned food.

Thanks!

I'm no Journo, but in my honest opinion, is it is a poor effort at journalism. If I was reading that and was thinking about starting to do HB for the first time, FAIL. Sure the 20 cents per beer part is good, but still an overall fail when it comes to getting people interested and supplying info, as Journo's should be doing.

Can someone at The Advertiser give me back 1 minute of my life!

i can give you a minute i work there but as a printer haha

The Jovial Monk is the weirdest person that I have ever met.

The Jovial Monk is the weirdest person that I have ever met.
+1 :lol: He was the first LHBS owner I ever spoke to and hung on every word (near drove 40km's to one of his brewing demos, I was so impressed with his knowledge) until I met GMK+K who put me straight :p

Proof Hobbits are real !!!!!

Thanks Goofinder for the link.
"Mr Smit said home brewing was fun, relatively simple and people enjoyed playing around with spices and molasses.
Coopers Home Brew marketing manager brewing products Scott Harris said sales had increased and were up 5 to 10 per cent in the past quarter."

I think there was a typo in the first sentence. The "and" was put in by mistake. :D

Hmm, Coopers are saying their sales were up last quarter, Hmm, I wonder if they would like to mention what happened the previous few quarters???

The article has made it to the front page of news.com.au, under the Money section...

i can give you a minute i work there but as a printer haha

Since when have you ever WORKED there Deej?

Maybe shown up, maybe even stoolied on Col, but never worked....

LOL, see you on Tuesday

Since when have you ever WORKED there Deej?

Maybe shown up, maybe even stoolied on Col, but never worked....

LOL, see you on Tuesday
ok sorry i show up and get paid at the advertiser

I am suprised that JM hasnt tried to mix his molasses and spices with his "special" cigeretts :D

+1 :lol: He was the first LHBS owner I ever spoke to and hung on every word (near drove 40km's to one of his brewing demos, I was so impressed with his knowledge) until I met GMK+K who put me straight :p

Proof Hobbits are real !!!!!

Met him recently, interesting bloke. He tried one of me beers, asked "does this have crystal malt in it?" He went on to tell me over and over how much he hates crystal malt.

Latest posts

Back