Home Made Keg Washer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs

Kevs nude brewing bothers me!
Reaction score
Almost finished my home built keg washer. Looking forward to using it. Geez I hate washing kegs. Here's some pic's.

Keg_Washer_28_June_09_001.jpg

Keg_Fridge_002.jpg

Keg Washer - some more pic's (ignore the keg fridge - attached the wrong photo)

Keg_Washer_28_June_09_002.jpg

Keg_Washer_28_June_09_005.jpg

Jeezus!

If that's your keg washer, I'd love to see your brewstand!

Stubs ; My brewstaned is still in the making, this keg washer is setup to wash 3 x 19 lt kegs or 2x 19 lt and 1 x 50 lt jobie. Two of the washing jets will also go under thr 80 lt boiler I intend to use in my setup.

Lots of drinking required to wash that many kegs!

Nice clean setup there!

Raven ; not that much drinking realy , it's all about taking the work out of it and the love of just building things, after all it's a great hobby.

Gregs it really is a work of art .

I soak my kegs overnight in a solution of Homebrand Napisan and rinse them out with a hose the next day,
It never seems to be much of a chore to me ,I never have more than a couple to clean at a time as have six on the go .

Surely Greg, the 'Keg washer' is not going to get up into the posts and the releif valve you have to depress them to get the fluid running through them . you are still going to have to clean them seperately .

Nice job ,must have cost a small fortune .

Pumpy. :)

Keg Washer - some more pic's (ignore the keg fridge - attached the wrong photo)

nice work greg, you'll have to drop in for the upcoming brewday that's on the horizon :icon_cheers:

Yard

Pumpy; each spout has a chemical quick connect at the base with a y spliter so when the kegs are in position and the couplers are connected the fluid will travel through the posts and kleen them . I will how ever have to kleen the pressure releif valve after removing it from the solution. I have ran the unit once all ready and at 35 litres per second after setup it will take all of around 2 minutes (give or take some) to complete the wash . Thanks for you imput cheers Pump.

I would love to atend a brew day Yards.

Thats good Greg I hate fiddling around cleaning the posts

Pumpy

Bloody BEAUTIFUL Work...

I am in the process of designing a similar system to wash my glass long necks with.

Thanks Wallablack ; Iv'e had some thoughts on attaching a bottle wash ring to this washer. What's your thoughts. Cheers gregs.

:icon_offtopic: hey gregs, what ever happended to you coming back for some hop cutting s to grow then up in the greenhouse, never did hear back??

was looking forward to helping out local aussie brewers with some cheap / free plants..

QldKev

Hey Kev; I thought I left it to long, sorry, as you said you where moving up to Mackay. Are you still around, is the offer still there. cheers gregs.

Thanks Wallablack ; Iv'e had some thoughts on attaching a bottle wash ring to this washer. What's your thoughts. Cheers gregs.

Fantastic idea, i was thinking of that too lol. As long as the pressure is adjustable and won't blow the bottles off you should be right. With mine i was considering either steam or water + sanitizer.

I want one would come in very very handy here

Wallablack; if you are thinking of making somthing similar get the bigest pump you can and simply adjust your pressure by having a tap or ball valve return to your tank. The pump in my setup is a Grundfos it's rated to temperatures up to 110 degrees and also has speacial chemical resistant seals with all 316 stainless. If you where to use phosphoric acid solutions (Starsan - non rinse sanitizer) after a quick rinse when you have finnished drinking your bottles you can simply wash and drain. Although you would have to be carfull not to kill your yeast off in the second fermentation by leaving wet solution in the bottles.

Wallablack; if you are thinking of making somthing similar get the bigest pump you can and simply adjust your pressure by having a tap or ball valve return to your tank. The pump in my setup is a Grundfos it's rated to temperatures up to 110 degrees and also has speacial chemical resistant seals with all 316 stainless. If you where to use phosphoric acid solutions (Starsan - non rinse sanitizer) after a quick rinse when you have finnished drinking your bottles you can simply wash and drain.

Thanks, it has been hard to find the correct pump regarding seals etc but finally found one suitable.
As far as a quick rinse of the bottles - word don't describe how much easier that makes things.
Got a lot to plan but I will keep you posted and may call on you for the odd question if that's okay.

Back