Home Made Immersion Chillers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get compression fittings with male threads off all different sizes so should be able to get one a copper tape fitting will screw on that you can plug a hose straight into it. so 1/2" or 3/4" depending on the pipe used compression with nylon olive (they can handle like 180c or more) if you that worried use copper olive. then screw the hose fitting on one like that screws onto a tap brass would be best where the hot comes out. plastic be ok for the cold in
This is exactly what I have been using.
With a 6m coil of copper I can get my wort down to tap water temps in around 20minutes without having the water running all that fast.
Water goes into barrels for cleaning and then onto the vege garden so not wasred in any way.
Cheers
Nige

Care to post a link / pic of your fittings Nige? If 6m is enough, then 7.5 (half of 15 m) will be ample. Two wort chillers for $50 is even better.

Second down on the left in this link, 3P Male Connector. Pipe in through the kinko nut and olive then a brass click on hose connector on the other end.
http://www.ifsaus.com.au/page0013.html
http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/category67_1.htm

Nige

sounds like an awesome option over solder if you dont want to fork out on brazing tools for a one off job. Any need to load up the copper with teflon tape to mitigate any gaps between the olive and the pipe or is it as tight as the proverbial nuns. :)

Excellent advice.
I'm going ahead with the ghetto immersion chiller.
Would spraying the coils in no-rinse sanitiser prior to dunking it and then letting it sit in the 90 degree plus beer for 5 minutes prior to adding the cooling be enough to avoid infection?

Don't even need the sanitiser. I just make sure my chiller is clean (ie. no hop debris from the last use) and throw it in the urn for ten minutes before turning it on.

And if it helps, I used 15m of 3/8" annealed copper then clamped garden hose onto it with some homemade washers that I made by just cutting off 1" lengths of my silicone beer line that I had spare after building my keggerator. Works a treat and just seem to need to replace the washers about once or twice a year.

teflon tape on the joints will stop any leaks (2 layers) dont want any water running into the wort. ...cheers...spog....
sounds like an awesome option over solder if you dont want to fork out on brazing tools for a one off job. Any need to load up the copper with teflon tape to mitigate any gaps between the olive and the pipe or is it as tight as the proverbial nuns. :)

No tape needed on the olive side but do use it on the hose connector side.

Went to try and get this underway today, but Polyaire were out of stock of both 3/8" and 1/2" pipe.
When I told them what is was for, the guy remarked that he has received a number of calls and a couple of other orders for pipe, for the same purpose...
Waiting for stock now.

Please help.

I've dutifully obtained some 3/8" copper pipe, and now I'm having real troubles finding the compression fitting and other bits to attach to the garden hose.

If this has been covered elsewhere then please accept my apologies and FOR GOD'S SAKE HELP ME FIND THE INFO!

I've been all over town and everyone thinks I'm crazy, and I know you guys won't. What do I need and where do I find it?

Thanks.

Dunno that you need a compression fitting, on mine I just used silicone hose that fits over the copper and then clamped it on with a hose clamp from Bunnings. Never had a problem. As far as the garden hose connector bits, you can get all that at Bunnings too.

Honestly it's a toss-up between Craftbrewer and Bunnings for which has contributed more to my homebrewing career. :p

mondestrunken said:
Please help.

I've dutifully obtained some 3/8" copper pipe, and now I'm having real troubles finding the compression fitting and other bits to attach to the garden hose.

If this has been covered elsewhere then please accept my apologies and FOR GOD'S SAKE HELP ME FIND THE INFO!

I've been all over town and everyone thinks I'm crazy, and I know you guys won't. What do I need and where do I find it?

Thanks.
Similar problem here, turned out I had tubing sized for refrigeration work, not plumbing. Plumbers no help finding fittings, went to an engineering shop, no problems. Maybe try an air con repair place?

From what I remember the bits I used were:
2x male adapters, fits on the tube, male 1/2 in thread the other end
2x 1/2in x 3/4in reducing bushes.
From bunnings:
2x brass fittings that you thread onto the garden tap to that hose connectors clip onto. They are 3/4in female thread, hence reducers.
These are normally that grey plastic, but they do have the brass ones.

Seriously thou, sliding the hose over the copper tube and tightening up with a hose clamp works pretty well. Just use some tape to bulk up the copper to be a snug fit on the garden hose. None of this side sees any wort so can get as ghetto as you like....

Thanks guys

I think I'll go try out the hose clamp idea as I'm over trying to find the right connectors.

Cheers.

I found the compression fittings in Bunnings, but I assume you've tried that?...

Latest posts

Back