Home Made Fwk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah but I would be wanting to ferment one that night so would have to quick chill one. I might as well quick chill the lot ferment the lot and keg it all but just gas one and store the other till I want it. Been meaning to get 2 more kegs anyway. But If I got kegs full then I will NC the whole batch. Cant see the point in whirlpooling then draining a cube then quick chilling then whirlpooling then draining the rest lol. Will be one or the other kegs depending.

now that's where your thinking a little too short :)

1) you do your brew, create cubes x 2 or more

2) when you want to ferment you get you cube and ferment.

Wouldn't there varying hop qty's for the 2 different methods of chilling?

Yup.....and???

(meaning what's the problem with doing two different hop quantities to take care of what you're trying to achieve)

When I went to AG, I still liked my partial "Melbourne Bitter" lookalike made with a minimash and a can of Canadian, so I did one full batch of a base wort full malt plus POR, cubed it into 4 x 5L mini cubes and they kept me going for months. IIRC I did the brew around Christmas 2008 and I used the last one around the April. Just cracked a cube, mixed it with the tin and half a k of dex, and woot.

fourpartials.jpg

Fanstastic. Thanks for the replies. On the note of cubes, the only ones i have
kicking around are those from previous FWK buys from ESB. Any particular ones
to buy in general? Local HBS or a camping store?
Note that you will need a thick towel to wrap around the hot cube
while you squeeze the air out between your knees ... and keep the
cube opening as far away from the family jewels as possible :ph34r:

T.

PS. Make sure there's no chance of residual yeast being in your
cube in case you might have previously used cube for secondary
fermenting for instance.

yeah but I work 10 days on 4 days off so when I brew I want to pitch yeast that day. So NC in a cube is not what I want to do I could get away will one cube but would rather ferment or cube both as I say depending on how empty the kegs are lol. I got no worries leaving a fermenter in fridge CC for a few weeks if I need to.

Bribie thats a good Idea if you want to put a few quick brews down.

might just keep doing what I am ATM but pain using 2 different mash tuns one for single the other for doubles lol. But it more a storage pain then using them. I need a brew stand any way before I do any more doubles, doesnt do to well for your back lifting 55lts of wort in a pot from the floor up to the burner.

Note that you will need a thick towel to wrap around the hot cube
while you squeeze the air out between your knees ... and keep the
cube opening as far away from the family jewels as possible :ph34r:
I spilt burning hot wort onto my knee last brewday, so make sure you take this advice and do it carefully.

Though I put mine up against a wall, and push into it with my knee, instead of between the knees.

So, apart from the usual starsan dose etc, being HOT is the key and keeping the extra air out is critical.

So...

I could just modify a few cube lids with transfer tube and add a check valve / stop valve. Then just squeeze till it comes out and lock it off? Or just add a valve / use a valve lid and purge with CO2? Or just overfill the cubes like the ones i have gotten in the past from ESB? Let it roll out, seal it and hose it off.

Are there any cubes out there in camping land that have a purge valve built in?? I take it the basic premise here is to create an atmosphere where bugs / wild yeasts will not survive?

I could just modify a few cube lids with transfer tube and add a check valve / stop
valve. Then just squeeze till it comes out and lock it off? Or just add a valve / use a
valve lid and purge with CO2? Or just overfill the cubes like the ones i have gotten in
the past from ESB? Let it roll out, seal it and hose it off.
Keep in mind the cube is going to be around 90C to 100C initially
and any modifications you make is going to have to deal with being
really hot and soft - and you have to make sure air wont leak back in
to the cube.

Might be best to try it with a standard cube to see what it's like before
thinking about any modifications. Also don't overtighten the the cube
lid/cap too hard as it could pop open slightly - turn the lid till it wont
turn any more without a lot of force, then turn just a smidge more.

One problem is ending up with enough wort to just nearly fill one or
more cubes (minus any wort you might want to set aside for other
purposes). The closer you can get to fully filling a cube, the easier it
is to sealing it (less squeezing).

Actually, if you're nochilling in one cube and quick chilling the remainder
in a double batch for immediate fermenting, this would work out well.

T.

Any reason you can't cube half a double batch and then chill and ferment the other half? A lot of folks seem to do this.

Keep in mind the cube is going to be around 90C to 100C initially
and any modifications you make is going to have to deal with being
really hot and soft - and you have to make sure air wont leak back in
to the cube.

Might be best to try it with a standard cube to see what it's like before
thinking about any modifications. Also don't overtighten the the cube
lid/cap too hard as it could pop open slightly - turn the lid till it wont
turn any more without a lot of force, then turn just a smidge more.

One problem is ending up with enough wort to just nearly fill one or
more cubes (minus any wort you might want to set aside for other
purposes). The closer you can get to fully filling a cube, the easier it
is to sealing it (less squeezing).

Actually, if you're nochilling in one cube and quick chilling the remainder
in a double batch for immediate fermenting, this would work out well.

T.

Hmmm i will keep that in mind. I think if i just go the route of filling the cube right up that would be good. It's my intention to make a double batch, one for immediate use and one for later use. That way i can fill the cube and overflow it to the brim then seal it off.

Erm, reality check.

OP says he wants to do some FWKs using boiling wort he has produced and keep them for a while before pitching. Yes. No problem. Mature technology.

So why are we up to the second page of replies? Sorry to sound like a grouch but WTF

I always have a supermarket of FWK for pitching:

Current stock

FWK__Medium_.jpg

How about moving on to:

My airlock isn't bubbling

:)

Mine isn't, and quite worried:

airlock_not_bubbling__Medium_.jpg :angry:

Ok, who are you and what have you done with the Bribie G? :eek:

Ok, who are you and what have you done with the Bribie G? :eek:

I just get annoyed when people are posting totally superfluous stuff that's been thrashed to death, simply to get their post counts up

B)

says the guy with over 10,000 posts :rolleyes:

Yes, think that horse has kind of bolted

..... over the sea

..... to the next continent.

I have something valid to contribute to this thread.

bribie that looks more like a sunday market than a supermarket?

Any reason you can't cube half a double batch and then chill and ferment the other half? A lot of folks seem to do this.

Bammo, and the nail is hit on the head. Cube the 1st half HOT (wait till later to pitch) chill the 2nd Half (which is still hot) and ferment it that day.

P.S. If you use correct punctuation, or even some punctuation, readers will understand your posts better, and be better able to answer your questions...just saying.

Back