Home Brewing V Craft Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I couldn't make beer that was infinitely better than their woolworths brand lager fermented at 36degrees, well shucks, I'd sell all my gear and take up a new hobby.

Doing the BJCP course made me a beer snob. The reality is that an awful lot of homebrew/craftbrew is crap and flawed. If they asked for feedback, I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone their beer was terrible. If they didn't ask, I would find somewhere to tip it.

Life's too short to drink crap beer....even/especially if it's cheap!

Maxt, does it smell?

I homebrew - I'm not embarassed to say it. I am embarassed of some of the home brew that gives the "moonshine" reputation that home brew basically has.

Actually, interesting, I have this mate (the one who still hasn't got my STC1000 sorted - he's very disorganised) who occasionally benefits from my home brew (but won't again until my STC 1000 is done). He has a bloke he works with that has started to home brew.

I'm assuming this is the bloke who borrowed his van for a week (the van that has the STC 1000 that is still not done in it) and must have asked the question, and got the answer as to what the STC 1000 is.

This guy has now given a bottle of his wares to my mate. My mate is very afraid of it and hasn't opened it up. Whereas my home brew doesn't last more than a day (for less than 3 tallies) or a week (for more than 3 tallies) in his possession.

So this means that even my mate has a concept of moonshine home brew vs what I do. And that experience has something to do with it.

Goomba

How many of you get asked if you go to "those brew on premises" places? Far out!

How many of you get asked if you go to "those brew on premises" places? Far out!

Because no one can make good beer without an expert around, so it must have been from a BOP.

Should just do a massive batch at CB one day, say "yes" and give them the address. Te he he.

I'm hanging to have another bottle of my new amber ale - sure as hell no BOP would ever produce such a frankenstein of a beer (or probably be even able to classify it).

Goomba

I get that a fair bit actually. "Oh I do the same, I keep my Corona bottles and once a month me and the boys go down to *insert generic Brew on premises place here*"

I don't really mind though, I just let them know that I brew from scratch using grains and hops. Most people then tell me they didn't realise beer was made from malted barley! It doesn't phase me.

I believe these brew on premises places have their part in the industry. If the outlet brews a decent extract beer and prides themselves in quality, well its better than the money going to the large megaswill. Some people want a cheaper beer but don't have the time to make it themselves so these BOP are great for them.

Latest posts

Back