Home Brewers Fined

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENALI

Reaction score
hi guys there was mention on the site a few months ago about an old couple that were arrested in Hervey Bay for selling and supplying home made beer and spirits,any way they were up in front of the beak on thursday last, and got a $500 rap on the knuckles Each,all their gear was taken away too,I am going to try a link thing here,
http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/sto...lty-hervey-bay/

The article isn't very clear in what they were actually guilty of. Having a Still perhaps? And supplying Vodka and/or Bourbon to a minor?
I don't like the way the blessed sport of Homebrew is jumbled up in the article as somehow being a bit illegal.

It says "carrying and selling home brew liquor" - I guess that means spirits?

I'm sorry the dude lost his gear, I would have thought the fine would have sufficed.

The article isn't very clear in what they were actually guilty of. Having a Still perhaps? And supplying Vodka and/or Bourbon to a minor?
I don't like the way the blessed sport of Homebrew is jumbled up in the article as somehow being a bit illegal.

It says "carrying and selling home brew liquor" - I guess that means spirits?

I'm sorry the dude lost his gear, I would have thought the fine would have sufficed.

The way the law is now, they could literally take his house if they wanted to.

From what I understand you can only have a still up to 5L for the purpose of oils and such in oz. When I didn't buy my not 25L still, I didn't have to buy the components separately... thus not being construed as illegal at point of sale.

The reflux condenser is going on my 3L geranium oil still sir and the 25L steel bucket... well I have a bucket fetish.

All fair comment ,the actual fine availiable for the offence in Hervey Bay may well have been $50000 on each charge,under the current liquor laws,so they got off light really,I still reckon owning and using a still should be legal for your own use,the price of sugar and mollasess is so low someone should make use of it.it was just interesting to me to see what happens when someone is arrested for it,Merry holiday guys

hi guys there was mention on the site a few months ago about an old couple that were arrested in Hervey Bay for selling and supplying home made beer and spirits,any way they were up in front of the beak on thursday last, and got a $500 rap on the knuckles Each,all their gear was taken away too,I am going to try a link thing here,
yup there is an AHB thread on the story in the pub section somewhere.

The article isn't very clear in what they were actually guilty of.
no the articel doesnt elaborate but as the OP indicates, they were selling homebrewed spirits and beer to minors

The way the law is now, they could literally take his house if they wanted to.
what a stupid comment. proceeds of crime legislation only applies where proof that an asset has been funded by proceeds of crime.

yup there is an AHB thread on the story in the pub section somewhere.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=45138

Can't blame the neighbours for complaining in the NT case.The customers probably weren't too demanding re the quality of the brew.He was selling it for $5 for a 2 litre bottle and it may have been costing him less than $1 a bottle.

Back