Home Brewed Beers & Stouts - C.j.j Berry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
This just arrived in the mail today:

book.JPG

It came as a surprise gift from one of my mates' dads (not coincidentally, the guy who gave me my first fermenter) :)

There are a few "all grain" recipes in here that look well worth a shot, although most of them (besides the Stouts) use a fair whack of sugar (this can be easily compensated for).

It also talks about skimming top-cropping yeasts...I recall someone else mentioning having read this in an older English brewing book.

Makes for an interesting read anyway, with unusual mash tun designs and such. Plus the pages try to fall out when you flip them :lol:

It was first published in 1963, the same year HB was effectively made legal in the UK upon the abolishment of Excises on non-commercial brewing (well, according to the book).

Anyone else got/seen/read this book?

PZ.

Wow talk about a blast from the past!
This was when it came out a cutting edge book, a little dated now, but one of those books that is responsible for the AG brewing at home becoming popular.
CJJ Berry is much better known for his other book on country wine (still available).
Well worth a read and a lot of the information came directly from breweries of the day, including the sugar.

MHB

CJJ Berry is much better known for his other book on country wine (still available).
Aha, I knew that name was familiar. That wine book is crazy. Apparently if it comes from a plant you can make wine out of it. I've never had the guts to try any of the recipes, sadly.

I have that book

cool hey

when you read it, you realise how good we have it now days

cheers

Latest posts

Back