Home Brew Shop Price Variations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DHBW rang me yesterday morning and organised payment for my 12 items over the phone, confirming delivery was only $15. Surprisingly it all arrived on my doorstep this morning! Nice.

All the perishables are well within use by's, the new fermenter is the exact same one that BrewCraft is selling for twice the price (I half suspected a cheap imitation), grain and hops are well packed....so big thumbs up from me.

Shop around is the rule, I bought a bell for champagne crown seals and lost my nomal crown seal bell (Super Automatica type). Easy I'll buy a new one.

CB...$14.70
G&G...$7.95

Now that's fair difference. :huh:

I emailed a few others that I regularly buy from but I haven't received a reply.

I'm amazed by the difference in prices throughout HB shops, and nothing against CB as they usually have very completive prices on lots of their items. Just pays to check things out.

Shop around is the rule, I bought a bell for champagne crown seals and lost my nomal crown seal bell (Super Automatica type). Easy I'll buy a new one.

CB...$14.70
G&G...$7.95

Now that's fair difference. :huh:

I emailed a few others that I regularly buy from but I haven't received a reply.

I'm amazed by the difference in prices throughout HB shops, and nothing against CB as they usually have very completive prices on lots of their items. Just pays to check things out.

I have a spare super automatica that you can have for what it cost me at an op shop $10.

I have one mate, it's only the bell I change for champagne or beer bottles. That's not too often that I bottle either these days, I do like to give a few bottles away over Xmas.

Bought a satchet of us05 at Heidelberg brewcraft the other week (dave was out of it). Bloke on the counter says "why don't you buy all your grain and hops here, we never run out of yeast". Cracked the shits when i asked if he could match Dave's per kg grain price, and sulked about how he wasn't responsible for setting prices.

Bought a satchet of us05 at Heidelberg brewcraft the other week (dave was out of it). Bloke on the counter says "why don't you buy all your grain and hops here, we never run out of yeast". Cracked the shits when i asked if he could match Dave's per kg grain price, and sulked about how he wasn't responsible for setting prices.
Who's Dave, is that the guy with the shop in Greensborough?

Good on you for asking BC to match the prices, they need to know we're onto them, and other than the odd emergency item we won't be shopping there. Seriously, $49.90 for the same bloody FV setup I can get everywhere else for low/mid $30's, and at one shop for $28. And they're bricks & mortar stores too so no excuses there.

I wonder if its the shopping strip location that's costing them more, seems a lot of home brew stores are more tucked away in industrial parks or at least off major shopping thoroughfares. I don't imagine home brew gets a lot of window shoppers relative to dedicated hop heads.

Good to see that although it took 10 days, BrewCraft/LiquorCraft/Australian Home Brewing/Craft Brewer got back to me, thanking me for my email pointing out their un-competitive prices, and saying they'd look into it. Good on 'em for that. I wonder if their prices are from having too many business names! All these website seem to be for the exact same company, and curiously, some of them are different websites but with the same items and prices.

www.brewcraft.com.au
www.liquorcraft.com.au
www.craftbrewer.net.au

I think it would be good to post your positive experiences in the previousky linked thread about discount homebrew warehouse thingamy.

Marks Home Brew
in Newcastle awsome price, range and service!!!!.................. just one happy customer :beer:

I think it would be good to post your positive experiences in the previousky linked thread about discount homebrew warehouse thingamy.
Top call, didn't think of that. Will do so now.

Avoid discount brew warehouse.

They charge you more for postage than they pay.
Badly packaged - paper envelope, no packing. I had mine arrived soggy, wet and contents spilling out in recent QLD rains. Surprised everything arrived at all.
Hops are in poorly sealed zip lock bags. No helpful labelling to speak of (ie. AA%).
They charge a low order fee which just adds to the perceived discount.
They tape the bags and packets together so you risk damaging packaging when seperating the items.

Would not use again.

Latest posts

Back