Inexpensive Starter Home Brew Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's face it, a first time brewer is not going to wire up an stc 1000 and have a dedicated fermenting fridge.

LOL, I've had the STC1000 since day 1 and think it was a good idea, only just drinking my second brew, but both are definately drinkable.

OP, if your into electronics get an STC1000, you won't regret it. :)

My beer came out too carbonated whenever I took a hydrometer sample when I was using glad wrap. I had to wait ages for the head to subside!

Now, I've heard that pressure conditions are bad for yeast... dunno any specifics... but there ya go. The beer is less carbonated under 2 piece airlock than under glad wrap.

But the grad wrap does work in a pinch.

At least it saves a little bit on kegging gas I guess ;)

Sorry to say stux but the carb of your finished beer has nothing to do with either air loock or cling wrap. I think you may have the wrong idea about getting Co2 volumes.
Ferment out completely then carb bottles or keg.
The hydrometre (thingy) or refractometre is true,trust it.

FWIW I don't prick the glad wrap. (A little prick has got me into more truble than anything else.)

Not trying to be a smart alec here but your post sounds a little ascew or missled. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I think Stux is suggested his hydrometer samples during ferment were too fizzy, making it difficult to read.

I have no idea how that's supposed to work but different from claiming an effect on the finished beer.

Sorry to say stux but the carb of your finished beer has nothing to do with either air loock or cling wrap. I think you may have the wrong idea about getting Co2 volumes.
Ferment out completely then carb bottles or keg.
The hydrometre (thingy) or refractometre is true,trust it.

FWIW I don't prick the glad wrap. (A little prick has got me into more truble than anything else.)

Not trying to be a smart alec here but your post sounds a little ascew or missled. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I think you didn't understand my point.

If there is more c02 dissolved into the beer when it comes out of the fermeter you don't need to use as much C02 to get it up to 2.5 (or whatever volumes)... i'm sure its not a massive effect, but it would be there.

The amount of c02 dissolved in the fermenter is going to be a factor of temperature and pressure, just like kegging, and the cling wrap/o-ring does maintain pressure... that's why the cling wrap forms a firm dome.

I wonder how much pressure.

But I've tested cling wrap precisely one time, and the beer came out of the fermenter slightly fizzy, where as with air locks that has *never* happened... well, not to that extent. which was enough proof for me that I will use an airlock when I have one available and it fits, otherwise the cling wrap method is a good fall back.

Fair enuf stux. I cant say either way in that case but it sounds strange to me. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I found that the Bunnings tap didn't fit the beer bottle filling thingy :-(

If you mean the "bottling cane" - I found that the Brigalow Cane doesn't fit the tap but the one I regularly get from my LHBS when the spring on the old one gets knackered, fits well. Maybe you've got a Brigalow brand one. Most of their stuff is dodgy <_<

If you mean the "bottling cane" - I found that the Brigalow Cane doesn't fit the tap but the one I regularly get from my LHBS when the spring on the old one gets knackered, fits well. Maybe you've got a Brigalow brand one. Most of their stuff is dodgy <_<

yup 'cane' and/or 'wand' - it's the one from the original Coopers kit - bought a new tap at HBS and she go just fine :D

[SIZE=11pt]Hey I got a great video showing what you get in a Coopers DIY Beer Kit here: and a great video showing how to make it here: [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you WineBrewer. May you long continue to link necro threads to YouTube clips.

Latest posts

Back