Home Brew Alcohol %

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brock has nfi what he is on about. He just can't brew properly IMO. 'brew a stronger style or it will taste like arse'. WTF stupid comment. If ur a good brewer u can brew in this style with higher alc.

Mpre so, having a Go at matns who gives back to the k&k/extract section is bullshit. I only iccationally give info to the k&k/extract sections now. I've done my part and mants has picked up the torch from me and others (like butters) and gives to all AHB members. Get off his back u condesending little twerp.

Edit: ESP as his advice in this thread is right.

Just checked on his two threads and he hasnt even replied to them FW

brocky_555 = Darren

Really?

While I often disagreed with a lot of what Darren said, and, more importantly, the way he said it, I thought we had hit a point where we could actually discuss those disagreements as adults rather than just making obscure snide comments over the net.

I still have the belief that Darren probably has a shit ton of brewing experience that people like myself could learn from if he'd be happy enough to share it. That goes for anyone here - if you have experience - share it and help people learn. Wanker comments are best left to either dismiss complete and utter idiots or be one yourself.

IF you want a stronger beer, you need more fermentables (if you know what that means). Easy as that. Appears your not all that concerned about taste.

IF you want a stronger beer, you need more fermentables (if you know what that means). Easy as that. Appears your not all that concerned about taste.

Pretty sure this has already been said, mate.

Nah, in the cold (sober) light of day, probably not. Just me being pissy after having just cubed up an AIPA, and foolishly logging on to AHB.

Must remember the cardinal rule; Don't drink and post.

;)

I thought you had to be pissed to post here?

So has ANYBODY got any comments on the original post?

There's been a few - essentially all suggesting more fermentables to give a higher ABV and careful treatment of yeast pitching and ingredients balance to make it into good beer.

There's been a few - essentially all suggesting more fermentables to give a higher ABV and careful treatment of yeast pitching and ingredients balance to make it into good beer.

I have kept some US05 from a previous batch. Do you reckon this would cope if I started it off with a 2L starter?

Done brews close to 6% with US-05 while getting the mash process sorted so I reckon it would do 7% easy enough

I just did a 10.5% barlywine with US05 2L starter, and it had no problems with it.

US05 is pretty hardcore up to about 11%. Starts to struggle after that. I think the tech specs say it's 12or 13% tolerant.

It will easily chew through 7%

edit: oh and will chew through it cleanly ie clean ferment no fruity esters etc (assuming temp is within normal etc).

I bought a can of Tennants Super once in the UK just to see what it tasted like.

1266.jpg

Further reinforced my theory that there's a reason 90% of the world's beer is produced with an alcohol % between 3 and 6. High alcohol beer (some exceptions, of course) tastes like a 90 YEAR OLD MAN'S LIQUID FARTS.

Making high percentage homebrew from cans of goo? Done it before, won't do it again. Better to sniff paint.

I think lager yeast just smells that way. Although it makes me think of the smell from the men's toilets at a football match.
Most lagers make me say "eww! Why are you drinking that???". Too much sulphur.

Notable exception is Tim Knappsteins.

Back