Home Brew Ag Setup..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy

Reaction score
Need a little help on the best way to set up the plumbing + pumps...

any advice appreciated - as brewing beer AG is new to me at the mo'

skippy

Great looking rig skippy.
I dont have a double pump single tear setup so I have little plumbing advice
Enjoy

Offy

Plumb it with silicone hose and bunnings butterfly hose clamps. When you've used it a couple of times you can decide from there whether you want to hard plumb it or whatever. Anything that you dream up now without using it will either have redunant features that are never used or not enough

Hi Skippy

Id put stainless steel 1/2" camlocks on all the ball valves and pumps and use silicon hoses.
Cheers

Plumb it with silicone hose and bunnings butterfly hose clamps. When you've used it a couple of times you can decide from there whether you want to hard plumb it or whatever. Anything that you dream up now without using it will either have redunant features that are never used or not enough

The yellow Bunnings butterfly hose clamps work best with 1/2" silicone hose, fwiw.

reVox

+1

Silcone hoses will last ya fair while and even if some are made redundant they come in handy all the time around the brewery. Get to know your system and procedures first then ya can tinker (like me the eternal tinkerer) and tweak as you know your system.

Damn nice rig BTW. Did you build it yourself?

Edit: Just noticed the Gym gear to the side. If that so you can brew and exercise at the same time? :lol:

Cheers

Chappo

The yellow Bunnings butterfly hose clamps work best with 1/2" silicone hose, fwiw.

reVox

Can anybody post a pic of a butterfly clamp please?

Rob

They're just regular hose clamps with a plastic wingnut in lieu of a slotted screw. Means no more stabbing of one's left index finger with a screwdriver. B)

Edit: spelling. It appears I had a camp clamp.

Warren -

Very nice Skippy, you have a similar layout to mine although I added a HERMS. I'm jealous, you have two march pumps.
Here's a pic of how I plumbed mine, hope it helps.
Silicon hose is fantastic stuff, pricy but worth every cent. I now have Pope Brass quick disconnects and fittings and they work fine.

system_002__Large_.jpg system_009__640x480_.jpg

+1

Silcone hoses will last ya fair while and even if some are made redundant they come in handy all the time around the brewery. Get to know your system and procedures first then ya can tinker (like me the eternal tinkerer) and tweak as you know your system.

Damn nice rig BTW. Did you build it yourself?

Edit: Just noticed the Gym gear to the side. If that so you can brew and exercise at the same time? :lol:

Cheers

Chappo

I got one of the local welders out of the paper to measure it, build it - inclusive of two 3mm stainless lids with handles for each of the converted kegs for
$ 1150 (thanks kevin rudd)

BTW want to sell the gym gear.

Very nice Skippy, you have a similar layout to mine although I added a HERMS. I'm jealous, you have two march pumps.
Here's a pic of how I plumbed mine, hope it helps.
Silicon hose is fantastic stuff, pricy but worth every cent. I now have Pope Brass quick disconnects and fittings and they work fine.

View attachment 26480 View attachment 26481

Andrew that rig looks the ducks'

I will be looking at getting a custom HERMS system + hopback.

Andrew,
I noticed with your rig that you are actually feeding from the bottom of the pump. Do you notice any issues with getting the pump to start drawing water/wort from the lines or do you notice any issues with cavitation of the pump?

Cheers,
Head

Andrew,
I noticed with your rig that you are actually feeding from the bottom of the pump. Do you notice any issues with getting the pump to start drawing water/wort from the lines or do you notice any issues with cavitation of the pump?

Cheers,
Head

No not at all. I have the inlet on the bottom of the pump so that any air bubbles will be forced up and out easily. I have tried it with the inlet/outlet horizontal but the air bubbles would not flow through very well, and with the way I have it set up it basically primes by gravity.

Andrew

Back