Hoegaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is supposed to be close. I just put it down

1 x 3kg can ESB wheat.
250 grams dry wheat malt.
14 grams Fuggles (10 min boil)
14 grams Goldings (15 min boil)
20 grams dried bitter orange peel (ordered from Grain and Grape)
30 grams cracked coriander seeds (make sure it has a nice citrusy smell)
2 grams cumin seed
500 grams torrefied wheat, steeped for 30 mins in hot water then sparged.
White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast (the Wyeast equivalent is the 3944).

Boil all ingredients (except yeast) for 15 minutes, although I added the Fuggles 5 minutes in. Cold break in an ice bath. Strained into fermenter

looks like a good recipe with little fussing about...Im not sure about the hops though??? sounds good but thankyou

This is supposed to be close. I just put it down

1 x 3kg can ESB wheat.
250 grams dry wheat malt.
14 grams Fuggles (10 min boil)
14 grams Goldings (15 min boil)
20 grams dried bitter orange peel (ordered from Grain and Grape)
30 grams cracked coriander seeds (make sure it has a nice citrusy smell)
2 grams cumin seed
500 grams torrefied wheat, steeped for 30 mins in hot water then sparged.
White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast (the Wyeast equivalent is the 3944).

Boil all ingredients (except yeast) for 15 minutes, although I added the Fuggles 5 minutes in. Cold break in an ice bath. Strained into fermenter

"500 grams torrefied wheat, steeped for 30 mins in hot water then sparged"

can you ellaborate on this process

best wishes

"500 grams torrefied wheat, steeped for 30 mins in hot water then sparged"

can you ellaborate on this process

best wishes

Im only a newbie to it all actually. I just cracked the torrified wheat and soaked it in hot water and added it to the boil. Its only to give the beer extra body im guessing. I was talking to the guy from the HBS and he suggested i should drop the torrified wheat as it might give the beer a haze or something. And i think the 250 grams dry wheat malt was only added to recipe to eat torrified wheat enzyms.

Cheers Damo

Im only a newbie to it all actually. I just cracked the torrified wheat and soaked it in hot water and added it to the boil. Its only to give the beer extra body im guessing. I was talking to the guy from the HBS and he suggested i should drop the torrified wheat as it might give the beer a haze or something. And i think the 250 grams dry wheat malt was only added to recipe to eat torrified wheat enzyms.

Cheers Damo
Raw wheat, of which torrified wheat is a form, helps to give a wit beer that characteristic tart bite.
It is probably the single most important ingredient of a wit, even more so that the coriander and orange.
It will hopefully give the beer a haze, as this is actually a desired characteristic of a wit.

If you haven't done so already I'd highly recommend looking at the Style of the Week thread on Wits
I know it contains a lot of info on mashing but there are also tricks on spices, hop choice etc.

It is true wheat requires a mash, and raw wheat should have some other malt with it to work but to do a mini-mash is essentially steeping at around a constant temperature for a while. If you steeped at around 65-70C for half an hour then that is pretty much a mini-mash.
Next time consider adding a small amount of something like ale or pilsener malt preferably, and following the same procedure. Steep, sparge and boil the resulting liquid. It will certainly help with this style.

Raw wheat, of which torrified wheat is a form, helps to give a wit beer that characteristic tart bite.
It is probably the single most important ingredient of a wit, even more so that the coriander and orange.
It will hopefully give the beer a haze, as this is actually a desired characteristic of a wit.

If you haven't done so already I'd highly recommend looking at the Style of the Week thread on Wits
I know it contains a lot of info on mashing but there are also tricks on spices, hop choice etc.

It is true wheat requires a mash, and raw wheat should have some other malt with it to work but to do a mini-mash is essentially steeping at around a constant temperature for a while. If you steeped at around 65-70C for half an hour then that is pretty much a mini-mash.
Next time consider adding a small amount of something like ale or pilsener malt preferably, and following the same procedure. Steep, sparge and boil the resulting liquid. It will certainly help with this style.

Thanks for the post bconnery it was most helpful. No chance your Sour Orange Ale 2007 4.3% was a K&K recipe as i was looking to use up left over sour oranges i got from G&G, in something other than a wheat beer?

Cheers Damo

Thanks for the post bconnery it was most helpful. No chance your Sour Orange Ale 2007 4.3% was a K&K recipe as i was looking to use up left over sour oranges i got from G&G, in something other than a wheat beer?

Cheers Damo

The Hoegaarden style (Brewcraft) I put down it close to the real thing. Head retention is not as good as I expected. I am the process of using different glasses and also chilling them prior to pouring. Overall I am pretty happy with it considering this only my second batch i have put down since starting homebrewing.

Grant

also done the brewcraft hoegaarden kit, was a good drinking wheatie, but required some imagination to call it hoegaarden

see this thread for some additional ideas

Im putting these 2 down today (the 1st one being closet to the Hoegaarden style) . I dont have a belgian kit for St Clemens so im thinking of making it an extract using an extra 750g wheat extract, 750g LDME and 500g belgian candy sugar

Summer Wheat
Morgans Whispering Wheat
40g Coriander in stocking bag.
2 or 3 limes and or lemons - rind & juice.
Kaffir lime leaves.
200g honey.
1kg wheat beer blend from HBS
Rind in boil at 15. Honey and juice and 20g coriander and kaffir lime leaves in at 10. Sieve into fermenter. Add kit and sugar and cold water as usual. 20g Coriander added in stocking bag to fermenter.

St Clemens
Brewmaster Belgian Ale
Wheat brew blend (500g dextrose 500g wheat)
juice & rind of 4 oranges & 1 lemon,
75g coriander in stocking bag.
halleratau and Hersbrucker finishing hops
kit, juice, rind and brew blend @ 15. 20g Coriander @10. Strain into fermenter, add water and yeast then 55g stocking bag of coriander seeds and finishing hops.

good luck keeping the fermentation temps down citym - 42 outside today

Back