Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keifer

Reaction score
My sister got me a bottle as a thankyou, i was stoked, such an awesome beer :excl:
I kept the last 1-2cm of dregs which has some yeast in it in the fridge coz i wasn't sure if this can be cultured?
So.. will it grow? and is it Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit?

Cheers man, its prolly been answered a few times before lol maybe i shouldve tried searching...

i bought and drank a bvottle of this for the first time on saturday. actually i had it with lunch :)

tops beer..... better that the grand cru i got as well.

this si the sort of belgian beer i want to brew.

I would be interested to know what yeast strain it is too.

Im over trying to reculture stressed yeast thats been on alcahol in bottles. It never seems to work out right.

can anyone elaborate on if white labs or wyeast ahve this yeast.

cheers

Tony, will have to try the grand cru and compare :)

It shows up in wyeasts list, so should be able to get it?
http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm#whe

Im gonna try and brew this in the next few weeks, looking at rigbys recipe on grain and grape, wonder how close it'll be...

Nice beer. I tried to culture up the yeast from that but failed dismally. I'm like Tony. I've given up on culturing from bottles that are several months old. That Wyeast yeast does get good reports. That said, I'm trying to culture up some yeast from a Gavroche bottle right now. Great beer as well. :beerbang:

Im gonna try and brew this in the next few weeks, looking at rigbys recipe on grain and grape, wonder how close it'll be...

would be really interested in how you go keifer, the addition of so much melanoidin put me off doing that recipe, i'v never used that much befor

would be really interested in how you go keifer, the addition of so much melanoidin put me off doing that recipe, i'v never used that much befor

How about dropping or cutting down the melanoidin and decocting. Isn't melanoidin used in place of decoction mashing?

Hey Keifer - I'm also keen to hear how this one turns out.

Cheers,
Michael. :)

Hi Keifer

I'm keen to try this too. Be very interested in how it turns out

Good Brewing!

Jimmy

Sh!t guys, too many want to know how it turns out, looks like i'll have to dust off the AG gear :)

How about dropping or cutting down the melanoidin and decocting. Isn't melanoidin used in place of decoction mashing?

If this is the case, while i'd love to do a decoction (havn't yet) i'll prolly stick to the single infusion cos thats what i know :)

melanoidin is a great malt but i reckon that recipe is a bit suss after looking around at a heap of FF recipes.

melanoidin is a great malt but i reckon that recipe is a bit suss after looking around at a heap of FF recipes.

thats why i ended up not brewing it and just made up a belgian specialty spiced beer instead (already had the yeast and wanted to us it). it is very different from the other recipes i had seen

-Phill

FWIW I reckon Forbidden Fruit to be one of the most overrated beers yet. Each time I have tried it I have been disappointed with the lack of character it presents and I wouldn't bother to copy it. There are so many Belgian beers which are much less pretentious and actually taste like something that hasn't been made in a huge factory - I can't understand what the fuss is about!

The fuss my good chum, is that i went from drinking new/vb to hahn premium, then to home brew. Finally not long ago i tried a chimay blue, and for my second awesome commercial beer it was the FF. So i've only had 2 high quality beers like that, not much to compare, so those 2 are the best beers i've tried :)

What would you suggest is worthy of a clone?

maybe it's a bit like Coopers, when it's fresh it's great but sometimes it's a bit oooeerrrrr.
i like it but i get a hell of a lot of "hot water on weetbix" with some Belgian beers. Sometimes it's quite strong.
I love the yeast though.

I decided to use up a heap of leftovers and use some old specialty malts so my first FF inspired beer was insanely complex but with some background research about sugars and crystal.

Ingredient Amount % When
Australian Barrett Burston Galaxy 2.50 kg 26.9 % In Mash/Steeped
Joe White Munich 2.25 kg 24.2 % In Mash/Steeped
German Vienna Malt 1.50 kg 16.1 % In Mash/Steeped
German Pilsner Malt 1.25 kg 13.4 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Corn Sugar/Dextrose (Dry) 0.42 kg 4.5 % In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 0.35 kg 3.8 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraRed 0.25 kg 2.7 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAroma 0.20 kg 2.2 % In Mash/Steeped
German Melanoidin Malt 0.15 kg 1.6 % In Mash/Steeped
Australian Raw Schooner Barley 0.15 kg 1.6 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Torrified Wheat 0.15 kg 1.6 % In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Oats 0.02 kg 0.2 % In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Pils 0.02 kg 0.2 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - White Sugar/Sucrose 0.09 kg 1.0 % Start Of
Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
Slovenian Styrian Goldings 3.7 62 g Pelletized Hops 60 Min From End

Yeast
Wyeast 3463-Forbidden Fruit

i said it was insanely over complex didn't i? :ph34r:

i bottled almost the lot in punt bottles and left them in the shed for aging.
it took about 18 months for it to really kick into gear.
i actually got an PM from a brewer on AHB saying he had just opened a bottle I'd given him and he was amazed how it had changed into an amazing beer :D

my next version which i will brew soon is:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
German Wheat Malt 4.00 kg 43.5 % In Mash/Steeped
Australian Dark Munich 4.00 kg 43.5 % In Mash/Steeped
German Melanoidin Malt 0.50 kg 5.4 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraRed 0.25 kg 2.7 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAroma 0.20 kg 2.2 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Rolled Oats 0.10 kg 1.1 % In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Pils 0.05 kg 0.5 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Corn Sugar/Dextrose (Dry) 0.10 kg 1.1 % Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
Slovenian Styrian Goldings 3.7 50 g Pelletized Hops 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz 3.3 15 g Bagged Whole Hops 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Wyeast 3463-Forbidden Fruit

Yes. Perhaps I tasted some stale examples? But I wasn't impressed by the Grand Cru either.

Keifer if you like the dark strong ale thing, I would suggest getting hold of some Trappist, like Rochefort, Westmalle or even Abbey copies such as St Bernardus. To me they are clearly much more individual beers and even if you don't like them you can have something else to compare with.

only way to try the Chimays is up the list in one go.
the alcohol and colour goes up as you taste.

even though people on here can categorise commercial beer as crap, there's some bloody beautiful stuff out there but it's just getting harder and harder to find.

i'm keeping all my bottle caps for my nephew who's collecting them. there's a basket in the kitchen and it keeps getting full all the time :eek: i shudder to think what they'd be worth if they were still on the full bottles :)

Latest posts

Back