Hmmmm This Weather Tells Me A Porter Is Necessary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
So the recipie I have in mind is an improvement of an old one, think I went overboard but see what people think of this...

for a 23L batch

1.5kg light LME
0.5kg dark candy sugar (homemade)
1.0kg BB Galaxy Pale Malt
1.0kg Weyermann Munich 1
0.6kg Pale Wheat Malt
0.2kg Rye Malt
0.1kg Dark Crystal (270)
0.2kg Caramunich 1
0.1kg Chocolate Malt (600)
0.2kg CaraAroma

20g Magnum @ 60min
10g Perle @ 40 min
10g Amarillo @ 40 min
15g Perle @ 3 min
15g Amarillo @ 3 min

Thinkin of just the ol' US-05

IBU = 46.7
EBC = 30.8

The style I'm going for is a Robust Porter (with an influence from the slightly citrusy White Rabbit DA) but I like to be able to see through me beers a bit so EBC is lower, plus I don't want the chocolate malt to be completely overpowering, allowing more complexites with the other malts to shine a bit more!

Would appreciate any feedback, will be making in the next couple days!

Cheers, Drew :icon_cheers:

You had me at Rye! Malt looks good and for what you said you are after with the hops it looks very snpa-ish so should work. Not sure about the 40 min addition though. Unless you are trying to layer hops( in an ultra hippy beer) I don't see the point. Add your ibu then flavor at sub20 min. Just my thoughts, brew how you like and learn what works for you.

You had me at Rye! Malt looks good and for what you said you are after with the hops it looks very snpa-ish so should work. Not sure about the 40 min addition though. Unless you are trying to layer hops( in an ultra hippy beer) I don't see the point. Add your ibu then flavor at sub20 min. Just my thoughts, brew how you like and learn what works for you.

Haha dude rye is amazing hey! my third go at rye and third rye beer in a row, whats up with the absence of rye beers out at bottlo's?! I tell you what i'll humour you and add my 40min additions at 30 minutes now and add another 3g of Magnum to cover the IBU's! I'm only after a mild hop flavour, i more so focus on just biterness and aroma. But ur right i need to see what hop additions i prefer and i cant see the harm in that small change. Gettin pretty excited bout brew day now! :beerbang:

Back