Sweet Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cronessa

Reaction score
Hi All

Keen to have a crack at my second AG and would love to do a sweet / milk style stout.

I'm still coming to terms with designing and scaling recipes within Beersmith and trying to tweak it for grains available through my local.

Anyway, after doing a lot of reading and playing I have come up with the following recipe. It still could be completely off but I'd love to get some feedback at this stage to see how far off I am - try not to laugh too hard :)

Advice, suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

BIAB 30L urn
Batch size: 15L
Boil Volume: 17.68
Boil: 90 minutes

Mash
22.65L at 72.7C - 68.9C for 90 mins
Heat to 75.6C over 7 mins

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.9

Mash Ingredients:

Barrett Burston Ale (5 EBC) - 2.75kg - 71.6%
Pale Chocolate Malt (900 EBC) - 0.18kg - 4.7%
Black Malt 2 Row (1300 EBC) - 0.18kg - 4.7%
Dark Crystal (240 EBC) - 0.18kg - 4.7%
Flaked Oats - 0.2kg - 5.2%

Boil Ingredients (no chill method):

EKG - 40 mins
EKG - 0 mins
Lactose - 0.35kg

Yeast: Fermentis S-04

Might throw some Cacao nibs in at secondary but will wait and see.

Everything comes out within the Sweet Stout 'style guide' in Beersmith (albeit on the higher side of the ABV and colour) but the addition of lactose seems to do strange things within the program!

Needs Roast Barley.

Hope you like drinking charcoal with that much black malt....way to much.

Search "Pillar of Stout" and adjust the hop bill. Add the oats.

So what your saying is with that much charcoal I should call it 'Imodium Stout' ;)

Cheers - I found your recipe and had a quick look - will have a good look and a play tonight so hopefully can order grain tomorrow

OK, revised the recipe with the following grain bill:

Barrett Burston Ale Malt (5 EBC) - 2.92kg - 88%
Bairds Roast Barley (1460 EBC) - 0.15kg - 4.5%
Bairds Pale Chocolate Malt (900 EBC) - 0.1kg - 3%
Weyermann Carafa Special II (815 EBC) - 0.1kg - 3%
Bairds Black Malt (1300 EBC) - .05kg - 1.5%

Will also add 0.2kg of flaked oats and 0.35kg lactose.

Hops:

EKG - 35g - 40 mins
EKG - 12g - 0 mins

Beersmith reckons colour will come out at 80 EBC which is still a bit on the high side.

A lot of recipes I have looked at have comparable grain with much lower EBCs than those available from my local (for example the chocolate malt I have available is Bairds Choclate Malt at 1230 EBC). The JWM only seems to be available in 25kg bags.

Hopefully I'm getting closer though?

I would up the pale choc to 5% it will give you some sweet balance. Looks good
Sav

In my limited knowledge I was getting a little hung up on colour thinking it equated to charcoal.

Sav - I will up the pale choc to 5% - what do you think I should decrease to get to the 5% (or should I just leave everything else as is and increase pale choc to about 0.17kg)?

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated

Yep. Do that.

Its only your first stout so your best off just brewing it and see how it turns out. When you make your next one just change 1,maybe 2 grains.

Its a good solid base to start from.

Thanks again Ducatiboy Stu - I'll put in the order and let you know how it goes.

I normally round them off. pale chocolate is awsome I use it by the shit loads.
Sav

Looking at it nock your roast down too get your numbers.
Bsav

I put in the order before I saw your most recent replies - will see how it goes as is.

I guess this is the advantage of doing a smaller 15 litre batch (at least that's what I'll tell myself) can brew and therefore experiment/tweak more often.

Cheers again.

Brew day went well.

Was complemented on the recipe by Amanda from Beerbelly when I picked up the grain so that's a good sign. Mentioned that there may be too much roast barley but she wouldn't have any of that!

Can't wait to taste this one.

Wort is in a cube at the moment so will take an OG reading tomorrow before wacking in the fermenter - not sure how to measure IBUs other than to say that bitterness and sweetness is what I would expect of a kit stout at this stage

If anything, OG will be a bit higher than expected as I reckon my volume was about 1 litre under what it should have been after boiling - can always dilute I guess but not really worried with a stout

Hmm OG was 1.066 which is a bit higher than expected (Beersmith reckoned 1.059).

I didn't use a whirlfloc tablet or hop sock etc so its probably a bit higher from all the stuff that's still in suspension.

Volume seems to be around the mark it should be going into the fermenter.

Pretty happy with how its travelling!

Latest posts

Back