Hlt Stirrer - Motor/automatic Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I think you will find its the reverse, when the element is on, convection causes quite a lot of mixing.

Its when the element is off that the water can start to stratify, so that the water above the sensor is hotter and below cooler than the set point.

If you arent going to run the mixer all the time, when the element is off would I believe be more important than the reverse.

MHB

i found that with cold water lets say, the water is warm near the heater element, but cold at the tap output. So i then wasnt sure where to put the temp probe, knowing it should be the average, i want to stir it so its basicly even and the temp controller(basic on/off) has a chance to maintain the correct temp.

looks like i need to find a motor and go from there. I will have a look about the shed otherwise ebay

I will also have a small herms heat tank that should be stired also i assume to help the heat. looks like i need to get busy

I went to bunnings and found a spit roast motor for $36, however then i decided to look on ebay and found these 2: they are cheap and i would think the rpm would be ok (depending on the prop size)

i also like the 12v as i will use a power pack inside my control box and then only run 12v to the lid, and easy to plug in and out to remove the lid etc

any opinions on the motors, too small? fast? torque?

Ebay 12v motor 30rpm

Ebay 200rpm 12v

Cheers

If you go with the slower RPM motor you'll need a larger propeller/stirrer to properly mix things but it probably has enough grunt to work anyway. The nice thing about the slow motor is that you won't need any speed control. The 200 RPM motor is a bit too fast.

I think mine runs at closer to 480 rpm without any reduction, it works fine. Just don't go overboard with your impellor, it only needs to be big enough to keep the water in the HLT just circulating. You're not mixing fairy floss

I know I suggested the spit motor and it may be too slow but I would have thougtht the size of the prop could be adjusted by size of prop,
You also eliminate the heat issues as these motors a re designed to cope with heat.
I would have thought anything that had a high RPM will have heat issues.
Another suggestion is the best thing to circulate water is air.
Another option maybe an airstone at this point .
You dont need a lot of bubbles to get things to circulating quickly.
Try this in a bucket of water and you will be surprised
only negative is you are driving ambient air into the mix which will cool , but I wouldnt think the amount of bubbles needed would have a huge effect.
If you maintained heat by a thermostat you would achieve what you want.
I am new to all this and only providing feedback as a novice so don't shoot me I just like to try and contribute as I really want to get into AG and am trying to learn from you guys !

Woody

i have bought one of the 60rpm motors to test it out, will update when it gets here, i could use a simple timer eg 30sec on 30sec off or something similar to get around it over heating, however if these doesnt work i will try the spit and other methods. If i replaced the small kettle element with a large one (say 40cm doubled over style) it would help spread the heat across a wider area but thats for later i guess

I will have a busy time getting the HERMS,PID, Stirrer, and rain water recycle pump set up for chilling in this time .... any maybe brew! i am out of beer and fear having to use a bottle shop

I cant see why a slow speed with a big prop or paddle wouldnt work.

I know this is an old thread but instead of creating a new one thought i would just post here.

I've got a wiper motor. I got a paint stirrer (cheap one just to test).

How should i join the two together!?!

I know this is an old thread but instead of creating a new one thought i would just post here.
I've got a wiper motor. I got a paint stirrer (cheap one just to test).
How should i join the two together!?!

A spider coupling might work

would something like this work?

http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/IBE-007.html

i have no idea what i'm looking for here. pretty sure the tread is 5.16th unf. then i would need a proper shaft the same?
I'd reckon so. There would appear to be any number of these sorts of couplings that are available. You could buy one with appropriate shaft input sizes at both ends.
These couplers don't normally screw on, it's more about shaft size than thread size. The 'thread' on a wiper motor is usually more like a gear than a thread.

Grasshopper, the question is not how should you connect them but how could you connect them...

There are any number of bodgey options too.
Since it won't be high speed, you could even weld the stirrer directly to the wiper motor shaft, difficult to get perfect alignment but really wouldn't matter.
You could pack the smaller shaft if the shafts are different sizes (in the coupling).
You could buy a coupling to suit the smallest shaft and drill one side out to suit the larger shaft.
Another coupling could be a piece of garden/silicone/pvc hose and two snail clamps. Would be ok for testing purposes and might hang in there for the long term.

Google ...... cd's old electric wort boiler.....
C D Pritchard he has a lot of info......
Cheers
PJ

Latest posts

Back