Hlt Element - Whole Hog...or Go Cheap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

Reaction score
G'day folks,

Well I need to get an element to put in my HLT as I want it to all be electric rather than having to worry about gas.

Question is:

Should I put an element like I have in my Kettle (See THIS Post) in it. From memory cost me around $80 fitted. Or should I just buy a couple of cheap kettles and bung one or two elelments in it.

I am going to run either of the solutions off Mashmaster Temp Controller This One

I think I will go with the first idea as I dont really have the tools to cut the hole and last time I got MHB to do it for me, so seeing he has plenty of experience seems the best way to go. I Also have to fit a Mashmaster thermometer to my HLT so if I get MHB to fit the element he should be able to cut the hole for it a the same time.

Just want to see what others think.

AG coming soon :D

Cheers, Pok

Hey pokolbinguy,

I just went down this avenue a month ago. In the end, I had mate give me a 2400W hot water heater element and I sourced fiber washers and a mounting bolt from Reece for less than $10. I was just about to purchase a 2400W bolt on element from Helios for only $45 model # RDM24 (2400W/10Amp). Comes will all required washers, mounting gear, etc.

Helios Electroheat Pty. Ltd.
Phone: + 61 3 9556 0200
Fax: + 61 3 9556 0299
(No affil.)

Now, kettle elements like the $10 jobbers at BiLo are just 1800W. If you use two, you'll need to make sure your circuit is rated to 3600W. Kettles, in the $15-$20 range fluctuate between 1800-2200W. The only (truly rated) 2400W kettles (at least that I could find between BiLo, Kmart, Target) were at the $30 mark. The general consensus I've grabbed from other AHB threads is that the cord that comes with kettle elements (and arguably, the element itself) is not designed to be run for 1 hour plus. Most describe their cords becoming hot to the touch (which to me, is of concern). The work around is to use a 15A rated cable. Most grab 15A extension leads from Bunnings which will run you about $20. The $30 2400W kettle + 15A lead puts you at the $50.00 mark, $5 more than a proper element from somewhere like Helios.

Granted, you will need to tee up cable for the proper element, a project box to enclose the outside, etc.

So in the end, I decided to go with a proper element designed and rated for the job for just a few dollars more. A hacked kettle element would likely be adequate, but as the savings was so minimal I'd gladly pay an extra $20ish for piece of mind as the system ramps into gear at 6AM when I'm fast asleep.

Helios also has screw in elements, etc. if you were thinking of going the welded fitting route, etc. Heaps of options. Their catalog is available for download on their website. My thread along the lines of what you are asking is here.

Hope helps,
reVox

One thing to consider is what the element is made of too. When speaking to the Grimwood people they suggested a different element type to the ones that you see within kettles/water heaters as their stipulation was that the solution I was planning to boil was not plain water. All the element were the same price.

I'll second ReVox. Get a replacement water heater element. They're available from plumbing supply shops or home improvement stores. They're probably much cheaper than tearing the element out of a kettle without the hassle of doing so.

Regarding the cord, again I'm with ReVox. I can only comment on the electrical code here in Canada, but the same principles apply everywhere. Almost all commercial extension/power cords are very light gauge (16AWG or less) and not suitable for continuous use when carrying high currents. 120V/15A service is the norm here, except for things like water heaters, electric stoves, electric dryers, etc, which are 240V/30A. For 15A circuits, 14 AWG is required and for 30A circuits, 10 AWG is required.

When you wire up your element, choose a suitable cord. 14AWG is rated for 15A = 1800W @ 120V or 3600W @ 240V. 10AWG is rated for 30A = 3600W @ 120V or 7200W @ 240V. By extension, 12AWG should be rated for 22.5A = 2700W @ 120V or 5400W @ 240V. I really have my doubts that you'll be able to find a standard extension cord with anything heavier than 16AWG wiring to cannibalise. You may have to make your own from BX cable and a plug. This is probably the safest and cheapest option as well. At least you'll know that your cord will be rated for the current that your element will draw.

I got Mark to make my HLT and he uses a 1750w element. I got continuous/instant gas hot water so it goes in at 50 deg C and take 60mins max to get up to strike temp. Works great for me and well worth the money.

Steve

I use a 3600W hot water system element in my HLT. It heats 50 liters of cold water to strike in 30 min..... no worries.

I use a 45A solid state relay to switch it on and off with a temp controller running that.

I have a nice hefty 2.5mm lead to take the load. Im going to install a dedicated 15A outlet soon and probably go up to 4800W....... i hate waiting for strike water :p

I have a friend that had a 4800w element and it would heat 50 liters up in 15 to 20 min, but it made the small lead he had go all soft and he couldnt use any appliances in his flat, or else the power would trip :)

But we are both electricians so we do know what we're doing.........i dont reconend this unless you do too.

cheers

But we are both electricians so we do know what we're doing.........i dont reconend this unless you do too.
Thats some fire power u got there dude

yeah but you need lots of power for big batches........ i heat about 80 liters of water for trike and sparge for a brewday..... any less power and i would be there all day waiting...... and time is precious on a weekend!

cheers

Good point. I only boil just over 32 litres to end up with 25 in the kettle.

There's a hot water mob at Cardiff Pok that will sell you a brand new 2400W element for $40. If you want to go tight arse, they will let you pull your own out of an old one in their yard for free.

Take the advice of others though, be careful with the electrical setup, if you don't know get someone who does.

Back