Hlt Adivce?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldwinpaul

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm switching to AG over Christmas and just putting a few bits and bobs together. I think I've decided on an electric urn for my HLT - Is this the best way to go? I can get a 20 litre urn from Handy Imports for $109. The only drawback is that it is only 1500w. Do you think this will be enough for a HLT?

Advice/comments?

Depends on your batch size. For a 'typical' 23L ish batch, 20L will be plenty for mashing in, then there should be enough if you refill it to do your sparge up to around 30L ish preboil.

How about building your own?

My electric HLT

That should be ok if it will hold enough water for your mash.

I use a 3600w element in 50 liters and it takes about 30 to 40 min to get up to mash in temp.

If i want to speed things along, i get a 20 liter pot and haul hot water from the laundry hot tap. Heats up in 10 min and the HWS probably heated with off peak power too ;)

I'd go bigger. I use a 40 L for my HLT and pretty much do mainly single batches. I refill after mash in to do my sparge (obviously it doesn't get filled to the top) which can often be around 24 litres. It would be a bugger if you needed to wait around for water to heat in the middle of sparging.

Aluminium pot plus over the side element plus ball valve tap. Weldless elements from craftbrewer are another option - cheaper than the over the side type.

You'll be able to do it - I can just imagine there might be times when it seems a bit small.

I'd go bigger. I use a 40 L for my HLT and pretty much do mainly single batches. I refill after mash in to do my sparge (obviously it doesn't get filled to the top) which can often be around 24 litres. It would be a bugger if you needed to wait around for water to heat in the middle of sparging.

Aluminium pot plus over the side element plus ball valve tap. Weldless elements from craftbrewer are another option - cheaper than the over the side type.

You'll be able to do it - I can just imagine there might be times when it seems a bit small.

Thanks boys, will take that into account...

Resurrecting this. 33L Handyimports urn for 139, delivered. I know I can't even get the equivalent components (pot + sight gauge + electric element + cords/electrics/thermostat) for the same. I'm going to do 1, maybe 1.5 keg batches at most.

Anyone use a Handyimports urn at all for anything?

hey guys,

sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm piecing together my first AG kit, and considering an Urn for a HLT, found this one on ebay, and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it, I noticed they don't mention the wattage of the element...

by my rough calculations (by which I mean wild arsed guesses) 35 litres should be ok for double batches yes?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35lt-Litre-Comm...#ht_4311wt_1271

cheers

hey guys,

sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm piecing together my first AG kit, and considering an Urn for a HLT, found this one on ebay, and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it, I noticed they don't mention the wattage of the element...

by my rough calculations (by which I mean wild arsed guesses) 35 litres should be ok for double batches yes?

cheers

Cheap urns have been mentioned enough here on AHB. If you buy it, don't complain on here when it fails.

Before you buy random sized brew gear get yourself some brew software and do the correct maths. There is no way I would try a 35L HLT for a double batch.

QldKev

Cheap urns have been mentioned enough here on AHB. If you buy it, don't complain on here when it fails.

Before you buy random sized brew gear get yourself some brew software and do the correct maths. There is no way I would try a 35L HLT for a double batch.

QldKev

cheers for the advice kev.... thought it might be too good to be true... think i'll keep looking for a while.

Out of interest I'm running a 69L brew on my rig and make do wit a 82L HLT, but always wished I could pre-heat a bit more water before starting. My mash tun and kettle would allow me to go for a bigger brew, but the HLT is a weak point (but was what I had available at the time), thats why I recommended to look at some brew software and work out an equipment profile before buying the gear. In my case I can only allow 2400w max for the HLT to get the sparge water up to temp, so the more water I need to add after mash in the harder it is for the element to get to strike temps within the mash duration, hence why I wish I had a bigger HLT. If that makes sense?

If you can source a second hand 50L pub keg, and convert that into a HLT.
Keg $??
element max $25 (have a look here)
stc-1000 and wiring $50 (max) search on here for "stc-1000"
plus a basic bulk head / valve assembly.

You now have a bigger pot, with a controller that you can dial up the exact temp, that should last many good years, for around the same price. And if any part breaks you just replace that part.

QldKev

I have a converted 50L keg with a 2200w element and STC 1000 temp controller pretty much as Kev described. It is a cost effective solution and very easy to build up and to replace/upgrade parts as you need.

I'm same as grant. The keg king element has a tendency to leave cold spots under it at strike temperatures, so be sure to give it a good stir prior to running off to the MLT.

awesome,

cheers all, I think that's what I'll be doing then.... now to find me a keg!!

There is no way I would try a 35L HLT for a double batch.

+1

Well, not any more, that's for sure.

Yeah, you might improvise and get away with it, but eventually you'll find yourself short on water, either in terms of temperature or volume. And I guarantee it will piss you off big time. Remember, 35L capacity probably means 30 - 32 in practice. Get yourself a HLT of generous capacity and it will save you buying one twice. ;)

FWIW, I've done worse, and used a 20L urn for a double batch. But, it meant preheating 30 odd L of water in the gas fired Kettle whilst the mash was underway and the HLT was heating another 20L. I'd then empty the Kettle water into other pots to prepare the kettle for receiving wort, and thereafter feed the HLT with preheated water from the pots. Pscho stuff indeed and a chaotic scene no-one needs. My own HLT situation sorted with a 50L keg and a 3.6kW element. :D

Stubbie

I'm same as grant. The keg king element has a tendency to leave cold spots under it at strike temperatures, so be sure to give it a good stir prior to running off to the MLT.

I always found that to be a PITA so I put a pump on the HLT and never had that problem since..

1.JPG

2.JPG

he.. he.. rubberised kegs rock!! :beerbang:

I should have put it in the post above. Being a HLT don't forget the good ol kettle element for $8. And as mentioned, always stir the HLT a few minutes before using it.

QldKev

hey guys,

cheers

I've got a 30l urn as a HLT and it is a PITA. It is too small for a single batch so i've just upgraded to a 50L keg. Am in the process of fitting it out.

If you can start at 50L (at least) with one of Kev's suggested elements (and get help wiring if you aren't a qualified electrician). You won't regret it.

I just bought a Birko 40L urn as a HLT for my single batch setup.

At this point in time, I like brewing single batches of different beers so the double batch argument for a 50L keg wasn't really valid for me.

I also liked the idea of having a very portable and easy to use small batch system using the urn and BIAB. This way, I can brew small batches in the urn and then use the urn as a HLT when doing full single batches.

Getting the most use out of the coin being pumped into brewing seems like the best focal point for me - and can be helpful when making decisions about any type of new equipment in this glorious obsession.

MM

40 L HLT for a single batch boiled in a 50 L pot is perfect (going on my experience as that's exactly what I use)

Back