Hlt Adivce?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest I'm running a 69L brew on my rig and make do wit a 82L HLT, but always wished I could pre-heat a bit more water before starting. My mash tun and kettle would allow me to go for a bigger brew, but the HLT is a weak point (but was what I had available at the time), thats why I recommended to look at some brew software and work out an equipment profile before buying the gear. In my case I can only allow 2400w max for the HLT to get the sparge water up to temp, so the more water I need to add after mash in the harder it is for the element to get to strike temps within the mash duration, hence why I wish I had a bigger HLT. If that makes sense?

If you can source a second hand 50L pub keg, and convert that into a HLT.
Keg $??
element max $25 (have a look here)
stc-1000 and wiring $50 (max) search on here for "stc-1000"
plus a basic bulk head / valve assembly.

You now have a bigger pot, with a controller that you can dial up the exact temp, that should last many good years, for around the same price. And if any part breaks you just replace that part.

QldKev

I've decided to take Kev's advice, eagerly awaiting the arrival of my stc-1000 and element for my HLT,

and probably going to use one of these for my keggle:

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-an...or-Power-Cooker

thoughts anyone?

one further question though. Is there a good method (and position) for permanently installing the temp probe inside the keggle, or am I best to just dangle it over the edge into the hlt when in use?

(sorry if this has been covered b4, but couldn't find much info on it)

cheers

That's the right burner mate but search around, you'll do better on price. There was a thread somewhere this week on the forum with them going for around $100.

For the probe you'll want a thermowell.

Edit - thread about burners here....

That's the right burner mate but search around, you'll do better on price. There was a thread somewhere this week on the forum with them going for around $100.

For the probe you'll want a thermowell.

Edit - thread about burners here....

Spork def found some good buying

I should have put it in the post above. Being a HLT don't forget the good ol kettle element for $8. And as mentioned, always stir the HLT a few minutes before using it.

QldKev

This is my HLT (cut up 50L keg) using two $8 kettle elements being controlled via a PID controller and two SSR's.

HLT.JPG

Back