High FG problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

I only got down to 1020 on my last two brews using Red X.

I did a step mash as recommended here https://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/brewers-blog/brewing-with-red-x on my Robobrew.

One used a 2l starter of WLP570, the other was a 2l starter of Wyeast 1272.

Any help would be appreciated as otherwise I might have a depressing break-up with Red X.
What was your OG on these batches? Did you oxygenate before pitching? Are you sure of your temperatures in your step mash? What else was in the recipes?

What was your OG on these batches? Did you oxygenate before pitching? Are you sure of your temperatures in your step mash? What else was in the recipes?
Thanks for your replies Eldertaco and Manticle.

OG on the first was 1056, the second was 1058. Refractometer and hydrometer matched on both.

Did not oxygenate, just let the wort fall from the ball balve at bench height to the FV on the floor.

Not 100% on temps (single probe at base of recirculating mash) but my previous IPA at 65c mash was 1011 FG.

First grist was 100% Red X, second one was 84% with 16% Pilsner.

It is designed to be used at up to 100% in a 12oP wort, that's 1.048. Higher gravity beer the maker recommends adding Pilsner malt.
Even your second beer is right at the upper edge (just over really) of the recommended maximum content.
I would be looking at using a fair bit less if you are looking for a well attenuated beer. Colour wise it is close to Vienna/Light Munich and I think you would be well advised to try it in similar amounts, as a 100% Vienna/Munich beer tho doable they tend to be pretty chewy.

All the usual palaver about how well your samples were taken, how good your measurements for weight, temperature, SG.... all are, it's always worth calibrating all your equipment regularly.
Mark

Best Malt Red X

Well those don't seem like particularly high OGs, and I've gone with 100% Red X at that gravity before doing single infusion BIAB and had no issues getting down to around 1.010 so assuming your yeast is all good (2L starters sounds good to me), I'd be looking at temperatures.

Do you do step mashes as a usual thing or was it just for these brews with the RedX?

What's your temperature control like on your fermentation? Sometimes swings can really play havoc and cause the yeast to give up early.

Thanks for your replies Eldertaco and Manticle.

OG on the first was 1056, the second was 1058. Refractometer and hydrometer matched on both.

Did not oxygenate, just let the wort fall from the ball balve at bench height to the FV on the floor.

Not 100% on temps (single probe at base of recirculating mash) but my previous IPA at 65c mash was 1011 FG.

First grist was 100% Red X, second one was 84% with 16% Pilsner.

I mean fg reading, not og - you may be aware but uncorrected (for alcohol) reading via refrac will always read higher once wort starts fermenting.

Did the 1.020 value come from hydro, corrected refrac or just refrac?

I mean fg reading, not og - you may be aware but uncorrected (for alcohol) reading via refrac will always read higher once wort starts fermenting.

Did the 1.020 value come from hydro, corrected refrac or just refrac?
Thanks for your replies Mark, eldertaco and manticle.

That’s a good point Mark about the 100% Red X grist, definitely something I should have taken into account for the first brew.I think I just read 100% and didn’t pay attention to the rest of the specs properly. Also, I am slightly doubtful about my mash temperature readings. It’s not so easy to get an extra probe into a Robobrew.

Eldertaco, thanks for your input. I don’t usually do step mashes I did it for the Red X because it was recommended for better attenuation. So much for that! Maybe it did more harm than good? My temperature control on fermentation is not ideal. For these two brews I used a heat belt in a cupboard. I took note of my temps through fermentation and stayed between 18c and 23c. Not too bad considering how basic the setup is?

Manticle, I used hydro readings for FG as I don’t have enough readings to be able to rely on my refrac. That is a good point though, and a mistake I once made taking a FG reading and thinking “WTF this can’t be right!”

I have an Aussie sparkling ale in the FV with US05 at the moment that was mashed at 62c, so I guess I might soon discover if it is a problem with the Robobrew temps? Hmmm.

Really appreciate the replies fellas, very helpful to have your input.

Aussie sparkling ale has been in the FV for a week and is down to 1010 gravity. So I guess the Robobrew temps can’t be too far out?

Latest posts

Back