Hi there !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

major_kong

Reaction score
Just wanted to say a quick hello to all the forum members and to introduce myself.
I've been home brewing wine for a few years now and having a few disasters on the beer front many years ago thought that beer brewing was best left to people that know what their doing. I got talking about beer making with my wine ingredients supplier a while ago and he persuaded me to have a go with a Coopers kit, it had all the brewing ingredients and kit needed to make an Australian lager type home brew, that has now been conditioning in bottles for six weeks, and to say I'm astonished at how well it has turned out is an understatement, like I said I've had some poor results in the past, but things have moved on considerably in the last few years and I cant believe how easy it was to make a very drinkable brew, so much so that I've persuaded a couple of my friends to give it go as well.
So I've joined this forum on a recommendation and I'm really looking forward to gaining some knowledge and tips from you guys and gals on here.
Next up is a Coopers IPA, I was thinking about adding 500 grams of light dry spay malt to the recommended recipe to boost the body and alcohol a little, has anyone got thoughts or tips on this or should I stick to the recipe, any advice welcome.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Welcome one, welcome all!
I'm sure your wine making skills will serve you well, and give you a leg up on most new Brewers.
You'll probably have some gear that can be utilized for both as well!

Hi Major and welcome!

There's lot of info and helpful people on this site, if not for them I'd still be drinking some sour dog-water like I was brewing 18months ago :)

Best of luck with your brewing! Adding spray malt is a great idea to improve a brew, a lot of brewers generally use it in the place of dextrose (brewing sugar) to give the beer more body and flavor. See how you go with your 500g and form your own opinions sir.

Have you ever considered trying some hops too? If your supplier has them, you might try a common breed like cascade or citra hops. Just drop 20g of them in a litre or two of boiling water for 10 minutes then add it to your fermenter with the malt and sugar and coopers tin. It's so easy and it will give your IPA that lovely hoppy taste and smell. :icon_drool2:

Just some things for you to think over as you brew. Best of luck and keep brewing sir!

Hi Major Kong.

Used to live not far from you some 20 odd years ago in sunny Preston.

Regards the Coopers IPA boil up some hops for 15 mins to get some more bitterness. I find the Coopers IPA far too sweet for my liking...

Cheers
Steve

Try to stay away from adding too much/any dextrose as it'll thin the beer out, you can also add some dry wheat malt for a nice creamy head..

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll have some cracking beers made in no time

Back