Hi I Am New To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good.. I found a few calculators online and some rely on temperatures and some rely on the weights of the ingredients

my been has been consistant around 22%

I tasted it tonight. Tastes like beer but a little tangy on the tounge. not sweet but a little bitter and tingley on the tounge like a fruit tingle.. Is this normal?
yep sounds pretty normal to me.

Well I thought I would check the colour of by brew and ran some into a glass.

Not sure if it is picking up the white sedimentation on the bottom of the barrel, but it is pretty cloudy.

Here is a pic: First_Beer.JPG

After doing a little reading, I might pop down to the brew shop and get the details of the start and finish gravity of the Australian Lager that came in their Kit. I threw the tin away.

I just want to make sure its right.

If I am over worrying be straight up with me.

you are over worrying. But your first beer is a bit like your first baby. Once you know what to expect the process will be less stressful.

Thanks Guys. Needing an Ale to calm the nerves

Thanks Guys. Needing an Ale to calm the nerves

Don't stress too much Phil, I was the same with my first brew ( a Pale Ale), ended up tasting quite nice. Hooked now. Have done a number of different styles since then, and I am having more fun than I expected. It just gets better and better. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone on this site is very helpful. Keep it up mate, its awesome fun.

Don't stress too much Phil, I was the same with my first brew ( a Pale Ale), ended up tasting quite nice. Hooked now. Have done a number of different styles since then, and I am having more fun than I expected. It just gets better and better. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone on this site is very helpful. Keep it up mate, its awesome fun.

Thanks Mick.
I put the sample in the fridge and the sediment settled right out.
Nice yellow orange colour.
Phil

Better have a couple. :)

Had a few sat night. Slept half of Sunday.
When I was up, I was dealing with 10 milk crates of bottles I was given.
Taking off twist tops that had started to rust. Soaking the.bottles I warm water, removing labels and a general clean. Then repack neck down.
I noticed that even after a clean, some of the bottles have a rust mark where the twist cap was screwed on. What's the best way of getting rid of it? Is there a risk of contaminating the beer even though it's on the outside of the bottle?
Phil

well the SG has been 1006 unmoved since I checked monday. I have tommorrow off so will do a clean and sanitize and bottle. Might have a coldie ready for christmas

well the SG has been 1006 unmoved since I checked monday. I have tommorrow off so will do a clean and sanitize and bottle. Might have a coldie ready for christmas

Finished bottling. Labelled each bottle and packed in crates back under the house. Have a question about hand capping that I will post separately.

Back