Hi I Am New To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipB

Reaction score
HI all,

My name is Philand I am new to brewing.

I have my first batch on the cooker so to speak hope things will be ready for the weekend for bottling and then resting for a few weeks or more to improve.

I was a bit concerned for a few days because I identified that my container is letting air in around the rubber bung for the air lock. The plastic airlock as a moulding line in it, so I think a small sand to get rid of the ridge will help the next batch.

I bought a Brew Kit from 'HomeBrew Store' with an Australian Larger.

I do have one question though:

Do I wait for all activity to cease ie bubbling before bottling or do I wait for consistant SG over a couple of days?

CHeers,

Phil

and then wait for 5 more days for the yeast to clean up after itself and to clear a bit before bottling.

and then wait for 5 more days for the yeast to clean up after itself and to clear a bit before bottling.

Ok.

So I put it in last saturday (29th Oct), take readings Sat (5th Nov)/ Sun (6 Nov) and leave.. take reading on Friday (11th) / Sat (12th) the week after and if consistant bottle Sunday (13th)? Reasonable plan?

That line in your airlock is supposed to be there.. don't remove it.

It is designed to give you an idea of where the water should be filled to inside the airlock.

Getting rid of it will do nothing for your beer.

Ok.

So I put it in last saturday (29th Oct), take readings Sat (5th Nov)/ Sun (6 Nov) and leave.. take reading on Friday (11th) / Sat (12th) the week after and if consistant bottle Sunday (13th)? Reasonable plan?
Sounds good, Sunday is a great day for bottling beer.

Get yourself a bottle of something different youve not tried before and swig on it while bottling and remind yourself of how much

money your going to spend..err I mean save with your new hobby/obsession/major love influence.... :rolleyes:

It is designed to give you an idea of where the water should be filled to inside the airlock.

I think hes referring to the mould line joining each side together....

just a hint phil, twist your airlock when you put it in, dont just push straight down...it helps to seal around base and it helps if the grommet is wet.

HI :)

The line I refer to is a moulding join line running down the length of the airlock nozzle where it fits into the rubber bung on the lid. Not the two Horizontal lines on the air lock where it indicates to fill water too. Apologies for any confusion.

Phil

I was a bit concerned for a few days because I identified that my container is letting air in around the rubber bung for the air lock. The plastic airlock as a moulding line in it, so I think a small sand to get rid of the ridge will help the next batch.
Don't stress it too much, after a few brews you will just toss the lid and use glad wrap anyway. :lol:

Sounds good, Sunday is a great day for bottling beer.

Get yourself a bottle of something different youve not tried before and swig on it while bottling and remind yourself of how much

money your going to spend..err I mean save with your new hobby/obsession/major love influence.... :rolleyes:

Thanks Yum :) already planned the Morgans Ginger beer :)

I think hes referring to the mould line joining each side together....

just a hint phil, twist your airlock when you put it in, dont just push straight down...it helps to seal around base and it helps if the grommet is wet.

Yay :) will twist and moisten :) (Now, keep those imaginations under control :p )

Don't stress it too much, after a few brews you will just toss the lid and use glad wrap anyway. :lol:

Flash,

I have read about that. Will the CO2 dissipate through the glad wrap?

Phil, if your going to do a Ginger Beer its probably not a bad idea to get a second fermenter,

plenty of people have had trouble with the ginger taste hanging around even after a good clean and sterilise.

Never had the problem myself though....

Phil, if your going to do a Ginger Beer its probably not a bad idea to get a second fermenter,

plenty of people have had trouble with the ginger taste hanging around even after a good clean and sterilise.

Never had the problem myself though....

Thanks YB.

On that, do people use different fermenters for different beer styles to avoid funny flavours? IE 1 fermenter for Lager, one for Ale etc?

Back