Hi all im new here and have a larger issue.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUMB

Reaction score
Hi all.
On Tuesday I started an Ale brew and within several hours it started bubbling away and am happy.
- Morgans Pacific Pale Ale 1.7kg tin
- Morgans Master Malt Wheat 1.5kg tin
- yeast that came with tin
bubbling away happily at 26 C

BUT
on the day before ( Monday ) I started a Lager and still it is not bubbling.
- Coopers European Larger tin
- " brew blend #20 " 1kg
- yeast Saflager w34/70 11.5g

The Lager is in a fridge at a controlled temp between 12-14 C ( added yeast at 24 C )

should I be concerned that it is not bubbling yet like the Ale ?
or is it that Lagers take a bit longer to kick off ?
the Ale I really mixed the yeast in well and air rated for a good 30 sec before putting lid on.
the larger I just put yeast on top gave a little stir then put lid on.

should I open the lid on the Larger and give it a really good stir ?
add the tin yeast and give a good stir ?
or just be patient ?

Welcome to AHB.

I'd say be patient for a bit longer. Did you get an OG on the lager? If so maybe check again and see if there's a change?

Welcome to AHB.

I'd say be patient for a bit longer. Did you get an OG on the lager? If so maybe check again and see if there's a change?

Thanks for the reply Journeyman.
Since yesterdays post I have been googleing a lot on the subject and came across a site called How To Brew by John Palmer.
This morning I took FV out of fridge, and swirled it around and tightened the lid a lot more.
And know it is bubbling out of the airlock as it should.
OG reading was 1038 and after reading your reply I just took a reading and it is at about 1030.
so im happy its working.
Thanks

Depending on the yeast, lagers can take longer and ferment more subtly. If you can take a look at the wort there should be a nice even foam developing across the surface. This is the krausen and is an indication of a healthy ferment. Hydrometer readings at the start are a must though as they are your best indication that fermentation is underway. You need to adjust for temp though... a reading at 24C will be different than one at 12C.

Edit: Also, try to pitch it at 12C also. It's possible that the high temp can stress the yeast.

2nd edit: 26C is to warm for any yeast. Keep the ale yeast closer to 20C

need lots of yeast for lager 1 pt probably not enough with out a big starter!! Might take a wile

need lots of yeast for lager 1 pt probably not enough with out a big starter!! Might take a wile

Thanks Barge and Kev R for the info.
There is a lot of info out there and I will make notes so to make my next brews hopefully run a bit smoother.
Kev R , I will have to learn how to make a starter with the yeast rather then just throwing it on top dry.
Berge , I moved the Ale FV to a cooler room as it was very hot up here the other day so temp is now between 22-24C but bubbling is a lot slower. but I have faith.
So heaps to learn. I love beer and the Lager is my favorite but also love a good Ale which is what my wife likes. So once fermented and kegged ( after a dry hop also , I'm going all out ) it will not be drank until it has time to mature 1 or 2 months. haven't decided on how long yet.
So hope they work and taste great as once kegged I will start another Larger and Ale ( both the same ) to keep production going.
thanks again.

26C is to warm for any yeast. Keep the ale yeast closer to 20C

^^ agree with barge here, 18 a better ferment temp for ale yeast. that brew will taste like a banana smoothy.

do yourself a favour and get an old fridge set up as a fermenter. temperature control is king.

if your unsure of if its fermenting just draw some off and there are a few cues, foaming indicates fermentation had began or you can still check with the hydrometer and compare to initial SG.

^^ agree with barge here, 18 a better ferment temp for ale yeast. that brew will taste like a banana smoothy.

do yourself a favour and get an old fridge set up as a fermenter. temperature control is king.

if your unsure of if its fermenting just draw some off and there are a few cues, foaming indicates fermentation had began or you can still check with the hydrometer and compare to initial SG.

Thanks koshari
OG was 1042. I just took a sample with SG of 1014 with temp sitting at 22 C.
I cant put it in my fridge at this stage as my Lager is in there sitting at 12 C.
Will just have to go with the Ale "as is" this time and maybe get an old second fridge down the track as I plan to always have a Lager and an Ale on the go.

So once fermented and kegged ( after a dry hop also , I'm going all out ) it will not be drank until it has time to mature 1 or 2 months. haven't decided on how long yet.
So hope they work and taste great as once kegged I will start another Larger and Ale ( both the same ) to keep production going.
thanks again.
Maybe do some stubbies as tasters so you get an idea of how the beer is progressing without using the keg?

Thanks koshari
OG was 1042. I just took a sample with SG of 1014 with temp sitting at 22 C.
I cant put it in my fridge at this stage as my Lager is in there sitting at 12 C.
Will just have to go with the Ale "as is" this time and maybe get an old second fridge down the track as I plan to always have a Lager and an Ale on the go.

another option is to use a bigger fermenter to increase throughput, i use a 60l fermenter and drop 40l at a time (anything bigger becomes a problem to physically handle. i alternate between my dark and pacific ales. with 10x19l corneys in circulation.

Hi all.
On Tuesday I started an Ale brew and within several hours it started bubbling away and am happy.
- Morgans Pacific Pale Ale 1.7kg tin
- Morgans Master Malt Wheat 1.5kg tin
- yeast that came with tin
bubbling away happily at 26 C

BUT
on the day before ( Monday ) I started a Lager and still it is not bubbling.
- Coopers European Larger tin
- " brew blend #20 " 1kg
- yeast Saflager w34/70 11.5g

The Lager is in a fridge at a controlled temp between 12-14 C ( added yeast at 24 C )

should I be concerned that it is not bubbling yet like the Ale ?
or is it that Lagers take a bit longer to kick off ?
the Ale I really mixed the yeast in well and air rated for a good 30 sec before putting lid on.
the larger I just put yeast on top gave a little stir then put lid on.

should I open the lid on the Larger and give it a really good stir ?
add the tin yeast and give a good stir ?
or just be patient ?

Always pitch at ferment temps. There are exceptions but this is a very good rule of thumb. Adjust temps later in fermentation for rests etc....
Also.... Lagers will almost always need two packets of yeast. Again, some exceptions where you want to stress the yeast on purpose, but for now, two packets will see you right .

Latest posts

Back