HERMS -Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PommyIan

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've pondered this for a while but just can't decide. When recirculating the mash with a herms where should the mash temp for control be measured?
1. At the mash tun exit?
Seems logical but the water entering the mash tun will be higher, hence mashing some grain at a higher temp...
2. At the mash tun entry point.
Again logical but temp will be lost through yhe mash and again some grains will be mashed at a lower temp this time.

Thoughts and experiances welcome......

Thanks for the info. However I'd like to see a discussion on this particular point not have to traul through pages...

that's what the thread is for.. its been discussed a thousand times.

Use a search within the topic... its not that hard.. HERE or...

HERE.. I could go on but seriously, if you aren't going to look for yourself why should I bother?

Top right corner, search field.

pommybitter said:
Thanks for the info. However I'd like to see a discussion on this particular point not have to traul through pages...
There's been plenty of discussion and evidence provided in the thread referenced. The generally accepted best answer has been heat-exchanger exit as the temperature probe location. I'm not sure that the folks who've given hours of their time in research, effort and writing really owe you another discussion here just because you want one in your own thread. In the spirit of online forums, if you want to join in the ongoing and active discussion referenced I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Yob said:
that's what the thread is for.. its been discussed a thousand times.

Use a search within the topic... its not that hard.. HERE or...

HERE.. I could go on but seriously, if you aren't going to look for yourself why should I bother?

Top right corner, search field.
Harsh response...

Poor bloke just got DASFFS'd on his first post

Ignore them all mate - that advice you need can be found HERE without trawling through pages

Thanks for the reply. ... i was a bit taken aback with all the bitchin....i only asked a question I like an anwer to.
I did try a search but found buts and bobs in amongst loads of dribble and shit.

Back