Herms Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
This is a SS inner coil and SS outer shell tube heat exchanger and it holds 2 liters of water. Which element should I use and how much wattage do I need to do step mashes? The inner tube appears to be 3/8 what fittings and hose should I use? Thanx for your help

IMG_1108.JPG

Cheers, JJ

The beauty of a HERMS is you dont have to worry about power density, the bigger the element the faster the steps. You will of course reach a point where the element can supply heat faster than the coil can take it away..

also have to consider.. has that thing got a pressure relief or something?? In case your element shoves in enough heat to boil the exchanger vessel. You aren't building yourself a boiler are you? closed vessel goes kaboom.

With the small volume of the vessel, I would hazard that 2400W would be more than enough to get a 1C/minute delta T and thats pretty good for a HERMS / RIMS - if you are doing bigger batches, maybe a bigger element? I've been using 1850W kettle elements in mine and they are enough to do the job, more wouldn't go astray though.

Nice bit of stainless toy you have there. Good find.

Thirsty

Use whatever size hose will push onto the exchanger & secure with hose clamps. Probably either 1/2" or 3/8" ID. Use the fiberglass reinforced silicone hoses as they won't collapse under vacuum or bulge/rupture under pressure. I use this type of hose with my system and it works well.

has that thing got a pressure relief or something??

It does have two other inlets where you can fill water into the chamber. Will they release pressure without creating geyser effect and shoot hot water everywhere? So I plan on taking this unit to a welder and having them weld a coupler for a screw in element underneath. Can I have the element plugged into an on/off controller like the temp mate? Will this over shoot my mash temps for such a small volume of water? Also what is the best way to craft a thermowel for the HERMS outlet flow? Should I just weld into the top of the unit a crimped dip tube to insert the thermocouple from the on/off controller?

Cheers, JJ

I suspect you will be fine with a temp mate - although I am in the PID is better camp.

The beauty of your little set-up is the small volume of the heat/ex - If you measure temp at the return to the mash tun - and control the element that way - the heat/ex will warm up and cool down really quickly in comparison to someone with a 10 vessel and super fast compared to someone with their coil in a 20L HLT.

You will get a little overshoot in the return temp, but that will just sine wave up and down... little over, little under, lagging behind the controllers on off cycle and depending on the differential you set. Once again, the over/undershoot will be pretty small because of the volume of you heat-ex. You mash temp will have a lot more resistance to temp change in it and as the wort return temp sine waves up and down.. the mash will most likely sit rock solid somewhere parallel to the x axis. All you need to do is work out the difference between where the mash temp sits and the return temp, and then you are right as rain.

I have stripped the casing off my K type thermocouple sensor, so now its just the little tiny metal blob.. I clamp this to the outside of the copper return manifold in my mash tun (above the liquid level obviously) with a plastic hose clamp, and tape some foam around the outside to insulate it from ambient temps. It consistently reads 1 degree lower than a scientific thermometer inserted into the actual wort flow... so my temp controller is calibrated down 1 degree to compensate.

In a bigger heat/ex ... I would say definitely a PID ... in yours, I reckon you will be sweet with an on/off controller.

TB

Thanx, TB for your detailed advise. You are a legend as always

Cheers

Jim

Update. I have almost completed my system. I have yet to do a mash with it but I have heated and recirculated water with surprising results. I decided to put the probe at the HE return. I was able to ramp from 55 to 65 in 8 minutes. I also set my on/off controller to 67 with a differential of 1.5 and it held it perfect for 1 hour.
28122008.jpg
28122008_002_.jpg
28122008_001_.jpg

Cheers, JJ

Latest posts

Back