Herms Or Rims

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berazafi

Reaction score
Hey all

Just wanted an opinion on your prefered option of the two.

I know herms is probably cheaper, requires less heating sources and is probably more suited to batch sparging and does not have the ability to easily step mash

Rims i belive would require more heating sources, need a more complex setup, and be more suited to fly sparging and would be easy to step mash

Are these statments correct

Thanks

Dave

Hey all

I know herms is probably cheaper, requires less heating sources and is probably more suited to batch sparging and does not have the ability to easily step mash

Rims i belive would require more heating sources, need a more complex setup, and be more suited to fly sparging and would be easy to step mash

Thanks

Dave
I think you've just about summed it up ok, except the bit about batch/ fly sparging. Both herms and rims lend themselves equally to either sparging method.

For the record i use a HERMS system, but i would consider it to be a hybrid HERMS as it has a seperate heating chamber to that of the HLT. I've done batch and fly sparging with this setup with no probs.

cheers

vl.

Hey all

Thanks

Dave

And why does herms not have the ability to step mash?
Mine does and I do

Batz

Hey all

Thanks

Dave

And why does herms not have the ability to step mash?
Mine does and I do

Batz
Are you running a seperate herms chamber batz?

Yes I do,I did have a coil in my HLT but I had problems heating my sparge water at the same time

Evening Berazafi. I use a herms and the coil is mounted in the HLT. I agree with VL and Batz, you can fly sparge with a herms no probs and I also step between the mash rest and mash out. At the end of the day you need to put together what you think will do the job for you. Many different systems on the net all with much the same outcome, bloody good beer ! :beerbang:

Here's my system ATM herms is in action in the pic ,now it's been on going for many years,it like me, has aged and got better.
It's not a "show pony" but works like a charm.

Single or 30lt brew happening here,60lt kettle.
Doubles I have a 90lt.

Batz

sorry guys, i didnt specify single teir, which would then rule out fly sparging

Thanks for all the info, i think it will be herms, which is the way i was swinging

Dave

sorry guys, i didnt specify single teir, which would then rule out fly sparging

Thanks for all the info, i think it will be herms, which is the way i was swinging

Dave

I still don't get you,single teir? you'll then use a pump right?
So why can't you fly sparge? In fact how where you planning this anyway?

Batz

berazafi,
not that i want to discourage you from herms system or anything, but I have realised an interesting thing. Since i have improved my AG system with a seperate herms and a complex temperature control system, I dont think my beers have improved in any way since the time when i was just mashing in a esky with a blanket over the top.
If you like building gadgets and stuffing around with your brewery, well then its definetly worth the effort. If your looking for an improvement in the quality of your beers, then you could be disapointed.

Just food for thought.

cheers

vl.

Sorry Batz didnt mean to upet you, if your run a batch, with only one pump, one pump, will pump from hlt to mash, then same pump will then do mash to kettle.

With fly, you need to be pumping from hlt to mash and mash to kettle at the same time, therefore two pumps

Actully thinking about it you would need two pumps to fly sparge on a single tier regardless of rims or herms

Dave

To clear things up a little i was looking for a single pump setup, single tier, and wanted to know which method would you choose and why

/Hijack On

Batz, what pickup do you use in the Mash Tun. The Igloo seems similar to the Keep Cold esky in that you can't fit a round false bottom in it ?

Hijack off\

With fly, you need to be pumping from hlt to mash and mash to kettle at the same time, therefore two pumps

Yep
Sorry...but real brewers don't fly

Batz

Vl

Not looking for any improvment, at the moment just have a kettle/hlt and a esky and use lifting for gravity feeds, im looking to get a pump and have it all single tier, im also looking at getting a hlt, with temp control, so may as well go herms, but was concerned that there may be a rims reason i wansnt aware of, or for that mater a herms disadvantage i wasnt aware of

Dave

Herms or Rims.
Ive been down this path of thought and havent done it yet due to my opinion of does it make better beer.
I still havent come across a convincing answer yet so i will stick to basic ag brewing.

Cheers
Big D

From what i have read i think it makes a more consitant beer easier, not a better beer. Im sure many brewers here make outstanding beers without it. I just dont realy want to be lifting hot liquids anymore

Herms or Rims.
Ive been down this path of thought and havent done it yet due to my opinion of does it make better beer.
I still havent come across a convincing answer yet so i will stick to basic ag brewing.

Cheers
Big D

A march pump will see you right and a dedicated HLT of course.

Cheers
Big D (who still relies on gravity :angry: )

Herms or Rims.

Cheers
Big D

If you can recirculate your mash you will get a better efficiency,you will also get clearer beers.
If you want to step mash then you can at the turn of a dial.
I didn't have it before but I do now and my beers have improved.

My opinion only..but I have done it both ways

Batz

Only one way to convince me Batz.
Send me a sampler :p

Cheers
Big D

PS im probably going to go this way once i get out of here and into my own shed/brewery.The savings in grain freight alone should cover me to do this project.

With a HERMS/RIMS system there's absolutely no doubt it makes for a easier brew day. I set a temperature and i know it will hold. I switch on the pump and know that the wort will clear itself by the constant recirculation. But a better beer? Well, that i'm not completely convinced.

vl.

Latest posts

Back