Heres to the bottlers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I have a Saison that's been in the fermenter over two months, it's probably off (I don't want to check) because I hate bottling so much (and I went on holiday for 3 weeks between it).
Ok, I was worried that I was the only one who did things like that. Although it no longer happens now that I keg.

I've just bottled my 13th batch yesterday and I've got to say I don't mind the process since I've started bulk priming. Except for the part around the 15th tally where watching liquid flow into bottles makes my bladder feel like its about ot burst :p

There is an element of love going into each bottle but I've got to say I wouldn't say no to the convenience of a keg system if only my lady let me get one...

Thanks Truman, might try the two gaskets. I have had the actual valve bit fall out of the end of the wand and into the bottle a couple of times. I just leave it there till I drink the contents. One only lasted 10 fills. When I go to lift the wand to stop the flow, the plunger falls out and the flow continues. Might just move to a ball valve on the fermenter and use a plain hose.

I still bottle and don't find it a pain at all. The bottle washer on top of the bottle tree, starsan & bulk priming make it a lot easier.

I'm sure if I used kegs I could never go back !

Glot said:
I have had the actual valve bit fall out of the end of the wand and into the bottle a couple of times. I just leave it there till I drink the contents.
I use short lengths of silicon hose and food grade vinyl tubing to attach my bottling wand to a fermenter tap. I put a bit of vinyl hose over top end of the wand as the silicon hose internal diameter is a touch too big to hold the wand securely (even though the silicon is the thick wall type). The silicon hose wraps around the tap spout quite nicely - and the flexibility of the silicon hose allows moving the wand about without dislodging it.

[zoom]

Ah ... just realised you're talking about the valve bit at the bottom end of the wand - that hasn't happened to me before.

To secure the valve bit on the bottom, you need to really squeeze it on tightly.

If it's still too loose, why not try using a short length of plumber's tape to give a little extra girth to the tube, make it more secure?

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
As a former kegger, now bottler. I hate it.

I have a Saison that's been in the fermenter over two months, it's probably off (I don't want to check) because I hate bottling so much (and I went on holiday for 3 weeks between it).

I hate the yeast down the bottom and decanting an entire bottle in one go to avoid it.

The washing the filling, the dribbles of spilled beer that, despite mopping up 5 times, still sticks enough to raise SWMBO ire.
If you don't bottle it soon, it'll get bored and start chewing the plastic!.

Latest posts

Back