Help With Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I got a bunch of Magnum, Super styrian and Target hop pellets. I really have a lot of it.

Could you recommend some combinations from these varieties for ale beers? I really don't know what to use for flavour and aroma....

Never heard of super styrian. And the other 2 are bittering hops arent they. Are you having a lend??

Brad

mash hop and first wort hop.....oh no here we go again....mmmmmmmmmmmm love it,

Anyone ever used "Brewers Gold" hops?

What is your opinion of the hop?

What was is like as a Bittering Hop?
What was it like as an aroma hop?
Can it be used in dry hopping?

Cheers,
Plyers

I got a bunch of Magnum, Super styrian and Target hop pellets. I really have a lot of it.

Could you recommend some combinations from these varieties for ale beers? I really don't know what to use for flavour and aroma....

You could try the TT landlord clone on here as it has a great malt backbone and use the hops in the following order

Magnum - 60Min
Target - 30-20min
Styrian - Flameout!

:icon_drool2:

I've never used Magnum or First Gold. However reading up on it I see Magnum is a bittering hop not unlike Willamette, so I'd go that as the bittering hop. Target was originally developed as a high alpha bitterer but is a so-called 'dual purpose' hop and often gets used for aroma nowadays. However it's 9% AA so be careful. I used it as the bitterer in a Modern Summer Ale that I put in a comp and it got criticised for being too bitter. So go easy on it and as Fourstar said, add it later in the boil. If super Styrians are anything like the normal Styrians, then a good aroma hop. Basically what Fourstar said.

First gold is a Goldings Cross, I'll get round to it eventually.

So many hops so little time :lol:

A way to get a rough idea of what your hops will taste like is to make a small amount of "tea", cool it and pour it into an Australian commercial beer completely devoid of flavour/aroma. You'll get to taste the raw nature of the hop - and it's a good indication of it's final flavour.

It's also an interesting way to make VB taste quite unique.

Back