Help With Beersmith Calculations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob2263

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just finished my 5th all grain brew. I have a copy of beersmiths that I have used on all my beers so far. Today I made a lager. My efficiencies have changed every brew so far and yes they are getting better.
I set beersmiths with an efficiency of 65% just to be safe, It calculated for a total wort into the kettle of 28.72 litres giving me a 23 litre batch after a 60 min boil.
my grain bill was a total of 6.7 kg consisting of:
5.5 kg pale malt
0.7 kg wheat
0.5 kg rice (pre boiled)

Beersmiths calculated that I needed 17.47 litres into the mash and 17.96 litres for the sparge.

beersmiths calculated on my equipment that I would end up with 23 litres with an sg of 1.054

After the boil I ended up with 25 litres with an Sg of 1.057.

Any reason for this all the water was measured accurately and the keggle had a steady rolling boil for the 60 min.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Change your boil-off rate to match your equipment, it's highly variable.

Change your boil-off rate to match your equipment, it's highly variable.

Thanks for the quick reply, every other batch that I have done has come out at the calculated amount. I thought it may have been the grains but I have used a similar grain bill before. I am stumped.
The joys of making beer I guess. :)

Have you used rice like this before? It would have been fully saturated (with water) when you added it to the mash, therefore it wouldn't have taken up any water and may have contributed water, leading to a higher kettle volume.

Beersmith estimates preboil volume also, take note of this in future and you'll know if the error is related to boil or mash calcs.

The difference you got in this instance won't make much overall difference to your beer.

regards,
Scott

Have you used rice like this before? It would have been fully saturated (with water) when you added it to the mash, therefore it wouldn't have taken up any water and may have contributed water, leading to a higher kettle volume.

Beersmith estimates preboil volume also, take note of this in future and you'll know if the error is related to boil or mash calcs.

The difference you got in this instance won't make much overall difference to your beer.

regards,
Scott

Cheers, yes I presumed that the rice may account for half a litre but not two. Ah well will chalk it up as a mystery. I am guessing I gained a little more wort due to the fact that I let the final run flow a lot slower and when I dumped the grain out of the tun it appeared pretty dry. Thank for all the help and advice anyway.

Latest posts

Back