Help With A Pale Ale Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Hi the there lads and lasses

I put a coopers pale ale kits and kilos down on Wed 26/04/06

i used a tin of goo cpa
and a coowee bag from goliaths
we boiled the bag of adjuncts as per in structions ten mins

added to goo in fermenter topped up with water to 23 liters and the temp was 20 deg c we pitched a coopers pale ale yeast starter made from the commercial bottel

temp has been steady 20 degc for the week and it has now slowed down

SG WAS 1042 - BUBBLES STOPPED AND GRAVITY NOW 1012.

but strangly it is very milky and very cloudy alot more more than i have had before i was thinking INFECTION?? but i sampled the brew and even tough it was quite bitter from the added hops it dosn't taste yuk.

1 should i rack it off now and fridge it for a few days or a week
2 or just leave it in the primary on the yeast cake and see what happens

the reason for the dumb question is it was done in a mates fermenter that was old it did bleach it and soak it and sterlize it but then he tells me he cleand it with a scourer .
and when i saw how milky the brew was i was thinking INFECTION.

NOT PANICING YET just need some input :(

DELBOY :(

Delboy, I'd rack it. You will get enough yeast carry over to finish fermenting. When you rack you will get some agitation which should help the yeast to finish. Not sure about the milky appearance, I've not struck that before. When you get consistent hydro readings the beer should start to clear. :D

All sounds fine Delboy - I don't know how flocculant the Coopers yeast strain is, but doesn't sound like you have any problems there. I'd leave it on the primary for at least 10 days & then transfer to a secondary & CC.

cheers Ross

Does it taste ok...

Then exactly what ross said... give it time to clear....

WHAT IS IN THE COOWEE BAG.

750grams Light dry malt
250 grams dex
and some hop pellets
i think thats the mix and probably POR are the hops

Iwill leave it in the primary ross . i de-lidded the fermentor carefully today and checked it out and there is no sign of aliens.(infections)
there is however a bloody big cake of yeast on the bottom about 3 inches thick.
i have never seen that much flocc down there in all my other brews.

when i say MILKY i should have said vey CLOUDY say 2x 3x cloudier than normal.
perhaps the yeasty's liked what they were eating. as i clutured them in about 500 mls of wort made from 100 grams of light dry malt and let them grow a day or two at room temp before brew day and pitching .

ok will leave for 4 more days then i will rack it off to secondary and cold condition for a week to drop out excess suspended bits just to clear it up a bit.

hope this helps and thanks so much for advise i feel like a brewer again and not a whimpering panic merchant.
OPPS LEFT MY SELF WIDE OPEN THERE! :eek: SO KEEP IT CLEAN ..LoL :lol:

DELBOY :chug:

A big yeast cake is normal for this yeast.
The cloudiness will dissapear during 2ndry and with lower temps.

Give it at least 4/6 weeks in bottle.

Latest posts

Back