Help with a mold infection problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussiedrifter

Reaction score
I need help with an infection in my brewery. I was living in a damp underground appartment were mold just grew on all of my brewing equipment and I started to get some bad batches. They didn't look like they had mold but were hazy and smelt and tasted like Burnt popcorn and metallic. I through out all my plastic lines, moved out of that unit and bought a new plastic fermenter and started making great beer again. But I just kegged an American pale that has the same flavour and smell.
When it first happened they were tasting great at the end of cold crashing and then when I kegged it the next day it would be bad. So I put it down to the racking cane and that seemed to fix it. This batch tasted bad in the fermenter (which is a new fermenter). I'm wonder what I can use to properly kill all mold spores? I read the section in how to brew about mold and got the impression that they can even survive the boil, is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, fill it up with napisan and hot water, leave it a few days, rinse then starsan

Might be worth giving the house, especially around the brew area a good clean with bleach. If there are bacteria in your house they are more likely to find there way into your brew

Everything in your old place would probably have been heavily infected with mold spores so you would have brought them with you on your things to the new premises. Might be that you have to demould the whole place and everything in it regularly to keep their numbers down. Sounds like a PITA. Hopefully It doesn't come to that. Making sure you store gear and brew in a dry spot may help.

Cheers.

I had my brother in law give me back a cube that he had "rinsed out"

Was full of mould and black lumps

I filled it with water and some Pink Stain Remover, which is chlorinated trisoduim phosphate - a great cleaner and sanitiser.

Left it in the cube for about a week and it is good as new

hot caustic above 70 degrees, anything that lives after that deserves to be there.

Hot caustic without a doubt, beats bleach, napisan, detergent... The lot. Doesn't seem to leave a smell when rinsed like bleach does either. Probably kill me though.

Best way to kill this kind of stuff is big swings in pH, so as mentioned, hot caustic, followed by a mix of vinegar and bleach, about 1 cup bleach/litre and then 1/4 cup vinegar. Wash everything you ever use in the brewery in this fashion, test equipment, tubes, spoons, cups, jugs, buckets everything! Also, the fridge you are cold crashing in needs a good scrub and spray down with bleach/vinegar solution. Then a good rinse and then sprayed with StarSan and let it dry on.

As mentioned in an earlier post, everything is probably carrying spores on its surface!

Damn. Made me feel ill when I read this. I have a chronic mold problem from the last big wet. My last three beers have suffered the same symptoms as yours. I thought it was diacetyl and repitched into one and warmed and stirred the other two. Looks like I have my work cut out for the next few nights. If you spray with a 10% borax solution after you clean that will hinder their return. Brew gear will be copping bleach.

Neanderthal said:
Bleach and Vinegar mixed creates a toxic chlorine gas , be careful using this in confined places.
Sure does! Make sure you mix with water.....

AND WASH IT OFF stainless steel quickly, it will ruin any nice finish, such as on new sinks......(still waiting for my wife to discover this)

I think and pray I am in the clear. I have no physical symptoms, just the smell that surfaced in two brews after chilling. The third, had not been chilled,is an ale that had been fermenting in the garage at ~14-18degC for three weeks. Anyway two days in the shed @14-28degC The ale has lost the smell and taste. I will give it another day before I put it in the freezer.

Like I said I have a chronic mold problem, but I have not had a problem with the 6 previous brews. Even two with a biab sheet that got mold when I put it away wet. It was cleaned with PBW, but still had faint black spots.

Another brew, a lager already in the keg, I repitched with some yeast that I pulled from the brew. I roused the yeast with some left over malt that was in the fridge for a few weeks. After I emptied the bottle of malt in the flask with the yeast I left the bottle on the bench for a day. I went to clean it and the inside was 50% cover in black mold. But none of my cubes that have beer have any mold evident. Beer must be good antiseptic. Explains why I am never sick.

Seems like it was a diacetyl problem for me. Even with a black roof in my present brewing area, good sanitation has kept the mold at bay. I hope you OP are as fortunate. Now I need to look at wort oxygenation.

Latest posts

Back