Help! Strange SG reading for Coopers Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swagman1976

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this site and trying to work out navigation to look for this issue on other threads but here's the problem...
2 x 23 litres of Coopers Cerveza kit to go in a keg...only my second keg I've brewed but have been brewing for a while.

Both kegs used same kit & sugar - 1kg of Copper Tun dextrose + 250g of Copper Tun Brew Blend No.15.
Both batches put down within 2 hrs of each other and averaging 22-24'c

Batch 1 - Start SG 1.036
Day 2 - SG 1.027
Day 3 - SG 1.015
So Batch 1 traveling along nicely.

Batch 2 - Start SG 1.036
Day 2 - SG 1.011
Day 3 - SG 1.007
Batch 2 readings seem to be too low, have done 2 readings both days and they are accurate...I'm concerned that Batch 2 is stuffed as readings seem to show that it is fermenting too quickly, especially after only 3 days and would ruin the keg if I mixed it with Batch 1.

Haven't had this happen before...

Anybody had this issue or know if I have a major problem here?!

Doesnt look like a major issue, dont worry time will help it.

Did Batch 1 get all its yeast mixed in, or is some of it still on the sides of the fermenter?
Less yeast = slower ferment

It could be as simple as the second batch had a slightly fresher yeast I am assuming you used the
Suplied yeast.

Are they both at the same temperature? If batch 2 is warmer = quicker ferment
Could be its closer to a heat source?

Give it some time, most kits are done in 4 - 8 days but if you can give it 11 -14 days it allows the
Yeast to clean up any off flavours made during ferment.

It's been discussed a bit on this forum, kit yeasts often contain several strains suited to different conditions allowing at least one strain to thrive in the conditions that can be maintained by the average joe without temp control etc. It's possible that a different yeasts have dominated the wort.

I'd call it more of an anomaly than an issue :D

If this is the case there's still nothing to worry about, they might be a little bit different but I wouldn't expect by a lot.

Should be well and truly ready for Christmas!

Latest posts

Back