Help Needed - Aquarium Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrenosBrews

Reaction score
After a few issues with stuck fermentation and working out it's possibly an aeration issue I bought an aquarium pump from Craftbrewer. A very silly question, is the tube supposed to go OVER the metal part of the airstone or inside? I can't seem to do either as they both appear to be the exact same size. I feel so stupid but can somebody please tell me?!?!

I don't want to risk my milk stout being ruined. Thanks in advance!

Brendan

Over. And if your very far into the fermentation at all, airating now probably will ruin it.

Over. And if your very far into the fermentation at all, airating now probably will ruin it.

Cheers, only just about to add first hops now. Is there any trick to getting it over? As I said, they both seem to be the same size and I can't get it on.

Thanks

Run the end of the tube under some hot water, that should soften it enough to slide over the end of the air stone.

Kev

Hey Brenos,

Next batch leave the stone and pump in the cupboard and give the fermenter a "swirl" about 12-18 hours after pitching of the yeast.

No need for aquarium pumps or airstones on the homebrew level.

cheers

Darren

Or dip the end of the tube in boiling water to soften it.

I bought one a while ago, then didnt use it much and just swirled and sloshed, but it was way too much effort for my lazy self, and recently used it again and notice a marked improvement in yeast performance so I'm thinking of even stepping up and getting an O2 cylinder.

Thanks guys, I tried the hot water thing. Finally got it on. Bloody fiddley bugger. This is the most advanced piece of brewing gear I have...hahaha

Latest posts

Back