Help Me Choose Tubes / Vials For Slants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atkinsonr

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm about to buy some test tubes / vials to make slants in; I've never done this before.

I know the question has been asked around here many times in the past and most people are referred to ProSciTech or Livingstone for lab supplies.

So, I'm putting together an order at ProSciTech at the moment, only I'm a little stuck on which tubes / viles to buy.

There are a couple of lists to choose from:

1. plastic tubes: http://www.proscitech.com.au/cataloguex/online.asp?page=l9
2. glass tubes: http://www.proscitech.com.au/cataloguex/online.asp?page=l10

I'm leaning towards the 'sample vials with screw caps', which are glass, but they come in different sizes (from the second link):

L6217 Sample vials, clear glass, 17mL
L6221 Sample vials, clear glass, 21mL
L6227 Sample vials, clear glass, 27mL
L6236 Sample vials, clear glass, 36mL
L6250 Sample vials, clear glass, 50mL

So my question is, are these a good choice, and what size is best?

Thanks very much!!

/ Richy

edit: typo

My vote is for the glass option.

I use the plastic tpye equivalent, and hanve had no issues thus far. Others use whatever is easily available. As long as you can autoclave/microwave/place in boiling water/steam, then you should be on a winner.

From memory my test tubes are around 20ml's. You only need a small amount of growing medium in them. Maybe grab a few bigger ones to aid in building up starters from the slants. And grab a bigger flask too while you are at it if $$$ allow.

In either case (plastic/glass) go the screw tops so once sample has done growing, you can screw down tight, tape it up and place in fridge.

Thanks Raven, that all sounds like good advice.

I've got a 2L Erlenmeyer flask - however from punching a few examples into the calculator over at Mr Malty it seems like a 5L is going to be more like the minimum I'll need for starters. There's a 5L beaker on proscitech which I might splash out on too (they don't have flasks that big).

Regarding vial size, I was previously think 50ml, but I've just come across this thread that I missed before - it seems to recommend ~30ml as easier to work with.

I'll definitely go the glass, and the screw tops. Thanks very much for that!

/ Richy

Just to finish this one off, I went for the 21mL borosilicate vials (L6221) as they have an OD of 29mm I figured they'd be OK.

Half the price of the 27mm ones too. Screw caps were an extra $15 and a 5L glass beaker was $36.

/ Richy

Latest posts

Back