Melbourne-Sterile sample tubes (yeast storage)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Gentle Sirs (& Ma'ams!),

I wish to garner interest on a bulk-buy of sterile (&/or Autoclavable) sample tubes for the purposes of splitting/storing/sharing yeast cultures, along the lines of these:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/67590-splitting-yeast-packs-in-pictures/

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/45866-splitting-a-wyeast-smack-pack/

http://www.haveahomebrew.net/PGYSHB.pdf

I propose a purchase from Proscitech:

http://www.proscitech.com.au/cataloguex/online.asp?page=l9

I'm thinking to order a mix of:

LCA01 (50ml) - Sterile (single use)
LCA03-50 (50ml) - Autoclavable (ie. re-usable)
LS22-30 (30ml) - Sterile
LCA04-15PET (15ml) - Autoclavable (ie. perfect for making slants)

They come in varying-size packs of 50-100, which is more than I'll need for a LONG time, so I figured to split 'em up & share the love....

I've only ever done grain/chemical Bulk-Buys, so I dunno how it would work with stuff this light:

Split the cost of shipping to Melb. by the number of punters/orders?

I'm willing to pack/post to folks, at-cost to the individual if they don't want to pick-up.

Thoughts?

I'm in. I'm only interested in the sterile ones ATM, but either the 30's or 50's would be awesome, preferably 30's.

Whoops! I can't now edit the original post.

When replying, please give me some idea of what you would want & how many of each, so I know if I need to order multiple packs, or just split a single pack. If there's sufficient interest, I'll start a proper list.

Thanks!

I'm keen for 50 x LCA01..50ml sterile.

Change to 50 x LCA03..50ml autoclave

Not a huge amount of interest so far (but it's only been 1 day). I think I'll leave it for a few more days & then if it's a bit of a fizzer, just contact & organize this via PM's with the folks that want to pursue it.

Good idea for sharing yeasts...

I'd be in for 10 each of the lca03-50 and the lca04-15pet but my fuzzy brain can't do marks this early in the morning so if you can post the approximate prices that would be ace ;)

Martin, mark me as interested.

Cheers,
Idzy

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the tardiness in replying to this. I've been away most of the weekend & I'm also not getting notifications of replies to this thread.

To answer a couple of questions posed:

The packs of 50 tubes are all $20 (the 30ml ones are $21.50 for a pack of 50). All prices are exclusive of GST. Unfortunately, it looks like the 15ml ones are unavailable right now.

If we get enough interest to order over $250-worth (ie. 11 packs incl. GST), then freight is free, or else it's a flat rate of $15, whether I order 1 or 10 packs. If we're under-threshold, I guess we just divvie-up the freight cost & wear it.

Alternatively, if we're close & folks want to order something else from their catalogue to make up the $'s, it might be worth it. Have a look around in the other pages in their catalogue that I linked-to I the OP. There's some good stuff there (ie. multiple packs of stir-bars, Erlenmeyer flasks & some really erotic-looking glassware. I for one am eyeing-off their boxes of powdered nitrile examination gloves...... :ph34r:).

I can't find anything about weights & dimensions of individual packs, so at this stage I can't give any idea of the cost of posting-out packs to individuals (if they don't want to pick-up from me, or arrange a meeting in a secluded woodland setting... :unsure:).

Edit: I also can't get into my PM's either, so Idzy, I haven't forgotten to reply to you from Friday night.....

LCA01 - 50 (willing to split if someone wants some)

Ive got a few of these and they are rad.. Just used some today, ptrparing for freezing yeast, the 50ml ones are perfect

tubes.jpg

^ Yob, is it me, or do those tubes look a bit wonky?

Did you cook the single-use tubes or introduce boiling water? I think I can see condensation.

The LCA03's are autoclavable & can be re-used, but the "standard" LCA01's are already sterile when delivered & are intended for single-use only.

MartinOC said:
The LCA03's are autoclavable & can be re-used, but the "standard" LCA01's are already sterile when delivered & are intended for single-use only.
Good call, please change my order to

LCA03 - 1 box o 50 units :beerbang:

I'd be interested in 10-20 of those Yob. If your still looking at splitting.

Well, it looks like we could get across the line for free freight yet! If folks don't want to buy a whole pack, we can probably do splits (how about 10 per split portion [ie. 5th's], like the grain/chemical BB's?)

The list so far:

Whole packs:

MartinOC - LCA03 x 50, LS22-30 x 50, L34-306 (4x30mm Stir-bars)
Mardoo - LS22-30 x 150
Yum beer - LCA01 x 50
pintofhops - LCA01 x 50
Idzy - ?????
Yob - LCA03 x 50

Splits:

Camo6 - LCA03 x 10-20, Ro55co LCA03 x 10 (15ml tubes TBC)

As per other BB's, copy/paste & add your orders. I think I'll call a close to this on Friday (10/1/14).

Latest posts

Back