Help! I've Flooded My Reg With Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozshots

Reaction score
Please help!

After 2 years of successful kegging, I've disassembled my setup and disconnected no return valve.
Being in a hurry a lowered the pressure at the reg... and flooded it with beer.

I've "flushed" the line with CO2 but surely some beer is still inside the reg.

Anything can be done to save the reg?

I think you had better let people know what model it is.

I know micromatics have a rebuild kit, which is one of the reasons I had for getting one.

Do a google search. I saw a thread on HBT where there was some discussion on both disassembly and washing beer off parts, and just running some water through the reg.

If it were me, I'd try to carefully take it apart. Please note that I am a person who historically learns by breaking things that are not designed to come apart.

can i ask how people are getting beer in their regs?? the gas in isn't submerged?

can i ask how people are getting beer in their regs?? the gas in isn't submerged?
Usually it flows up the gas line , bloke...
Usually cause you've got unequal pressure between reg and more pressure in the keg...
Usually I've been half cut when it goes up the line...but I've always managed to stop it before it kills my reg !
Cheers
Ferg

I've nearly done it a few times before I got a NRV.

I have a few sets of bottles and regs and I normally force carbonate in the shed off the big gas bottle.

I had brought that keg into the house and connected it to the system without first leting off the excess pressure.

The shed reg was set at about 200 and the house was 70. The unequal pressure causes the beer to shoot back up the gas line, headed straight for your reg.

Brewjohno

Please help!

After 2 years of successful kegging, I've disassembled my setup and disconnected no return valve.
Being in a hurry a lowered the pressure at the reg... and flooded it with beer.

I've "flushed" the line with CO2 but surely some beer is still inside the reg.

Anything can be done to save the reg?

I wouldn't stress too much at this stage. It may not be stuffed at all.

I've been kegging for a few years now too, and when i first started had problems with understanding my system and got a whole stack of beer in my regulator. Didn't quite get to the tap to increase pressure in time and it came out the sides of the regulator. I thought i had killed it, but two years later it's still working perfectly. I'd keep using it as normal if you can and you may not have any problems at all.

Obviously if it behaves weirdly then it's a different story, but all i'm saying is just cause you get beer in it doesn't automatically mean it's rooted. You may just get away with it like i have.

as others have said, no return valve is cheap insurance should this almost happen again.

If you have increased the pressure back into the line, then chances are you blown the beer back into the keg anyway.....

just a thought...

Nath

The reg will continue to work after getting beer in it Big Nath but if you were to pull it apart I bet you'd be dismayed at the festering mess growing inside it. And this yuck gets blown along on the CO2 into your kegs.....

I wouldn't stress too much at this stage. It may not be stuffed at all.

I've been kegging for a few years now too, and when i first started had problems with understanding my system and got a whole stack of beer in my regulator. Didn't quite get to the tap to increase pressure in time and it came out the sides of the regulator. I thought i had killed it, but two years later it's still working perfectly. I'd keep using it as normal if you can and you may not have any problems at all.

Obviously if it behaves weirdly then it's a different story, but all i'm saying is just cause you get beer in it doesn't automatically mean it's rooted. You may just get away with it like i have.

Nath

Nath,

Just because the regulator is functioning properly doesn't mean weverything is ok. If you've got old beer soaked into the seals & threads of your regulator you might be shocked at the state of the insides.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Took phone call before posting, so Jez beat me to it.

righto, will pull it apart and have a looky

thanks fellas

to the OP, sorry if i've hijacked..

righto, will pull it apart and have a looky

thanks fellas

to the OP, sorry if i've hijacked..

CAUTION: Don't take apart if you haven't got spare seals or a spare regulator, as you may find the seals will disintegrate upon opening.

Cheers Ross

sorry guys, maybe i'm missing something, but how can beer get in to the gas in post unless it is submerged, surely the beer doesn't levitate?

sorry guys, maybe i'm missing something, but how can beer get in to the gas in post unless it is submerged, surely the beer doesn't levitate?
2 ways that I can think of, 1. over-filled to where the gas dip is under, and more likely, 2. when the pressure in the headspace is quickly relieved (has a way out) the pressure holding the co2 in solution is lowered, hence it could come out of solution (foaming), and be enough to get up to the dip tube on the gas post.

Another way is if it's been shook up during the quick force carb method so that the normally empty space above the beer is all foamy, won't take much for that foam to shoot up the gas line.

Also, the gas post will fit on the beer post - This is how I flooded my regulator twice before discovering non-return valves.

cheers Ross

I've flooded my reg after the force carbonation "the Ross way" - connecting gas into the beer post.

The usual procedure after the carbonation: disconnect gas line from the keg, then reduce the pressure on the reg.
This single time I had no return valve in the system, I'd reduced the pressure... without disconnecting the line first.

By the way: why did I disconnected no return valve? I was using my CO2 to run an airbrush...

After you let the horse out of the barn get one of the horse proof barn gates. Or if you are only dealing with a CO2 regulator make sure it has a check valve on it. Yes you can still get liquid back with a check valve. Much less likely if you have one. If in doubt unplug it and make sure the gauge reads ZERO before plugging it in (this only works if you have a check valve, which you should have).

And if you have more then one keg you should have more then one check valve to keep an over carbed keg from messing with the others.

And if you have more then one keg you should have more then one check valve to keep an over carbed keg from messing with the others.

Interesting thought. I've only got one, up near my reg. I can see the logic in what you're saying. I think one is better than none, and would have said more aren't beneficial, but a few more would be a cheap way of having different carbonation levels on the same system.

Anyone do this?

(sorry for the hijack -- agree with advice -- leave it alone unless you can get a kit and then disassemble only if you are mechanically inclined. I used to repair SCUBA regs. Not all that hi-tec, and less so with a CO2 reg than when your life is somewhat dependent on it, but if your not mechanical, then go ahead if you are happy to just consider it an experiment. Keep track of all the parts and the order they go in, replace with appropriate parts and use a proper lubricant. Don't risk contamination by leaving it any longer than you have to.)

WY

Latest posts

Back