HELP.... I STUFFED UP

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizn

Reaction score
So long story short i stuffed up my hop additions, ibu was ment to be 96 but after my stuff up and adding my hopstand hops at the boil my ibu calculation has been pushed to 159.

What can i do to try and claim back this NEIPA? the recipe is below, does anyone think it can be saved with some bigger dry hopping? Cheers

http://brew.grainfather.com/recipes/146301

So long story short i stuffed up my hop additions, ibu was ment to be 96 but after my stuff up and adding my hopstand hops at the boil my ibu calculation has been pushed to 159.

What can i do to try and claim back this NEIPA? the recipe is below, does anyone think it can be saved with some bigger dry hopping? Cheers

http://brew.grainfather.com/recipes/146301
The original recipe was using denali but i swapped it for ctz due to availability, only warrior was meant to go in at the boil.

chances of claiming this back in my eyes are slim but surely there is a brewing yoda in this forum that can have some input or even anyone who has half an crazy idea will be welcomed.

What other style can i slip this into? Could i possibly drop a bucket of fruit in to balance it? Come on fellow brewers throw me your ideas

Cheers Frizn
Screenshot_20181006-083612_GFConnectNS.jpeg
Screenshot_20181006-083627_GFConnectNS.jpeg
Screenshot_20181006-083632_GFConnectNS.jpeg
Screenshot_20181006-083635_GFConnectNS.jpeg

Do you keg? You could brew a second, underbittered batch and blend them

Sounds like a half decent idea, yeah i keg.... do you think i could get away with a small batch and do it that way?
I don't see why not. At the end of the day you're just trying to dilute the beer, but if you did so with water you'd diminish all that flavour you worked hard to achieve. You're trying to halve the IBUs though so you'd want fairly heavy dilution

I don't see why not. At the end of the day you're just trying to dilute the beer, but if you did so with water you'd diminish all that flavour you worked hard to achieve. You're trying to halve the IBUs though so you'd want fairly heavy dilution
Maybe even do a brew with no hop additions in the boil or stand, do you think if i banged it out today and dumped it into the fv that it could be a possibility or throw it in another fv

Yikes, 120g at 60 minutes, didn't your beerstinct kick in? My rough calculation (please someone check) you'd need to do about a 9L (not accounting for losses) batch to get those IBUs down - might be good idea to just chuck 5g in at the start. I don't know about the blending though, is your FV big enough to take an addition of 9L, I'd look to blend it sooner rather than in the keg(s), but if you went with 2 FVs then make sure you stick to the same dry hopping schedule (scaled) for both, if in one FV then scale up your dry hopping to account for extra litres..

If you have another FV I'd suggest just brewing your low-IBU blending beer alongside your first one and blend after fermentation. That way you can blend in a glass and decide your ideal ratio before blending into the keg

Beerstinct kicked in as i dropped them in... i had a wtf did i do moment hence the post lol.

I like both ideas looks like i will be brewing after work tonight, thanks for the input fellas

Well i will brew tonight and see how it goes... thanks all for the input
Ok I would like to thank everyone for the their input on my crisis situation, I ended up scaling the recipe to a 9L batch only added 5g for bittering rather than the 11g for the scale dumped it into the FV at 19°c.... it has balanced out pretty good which i cant be happier about, lacks a bit of aroma for a neipa but better than it being 159ibu
Cheers [emoji482]

Ok I would like to thank everyone for the their input on my crisis situation, I ended up scaling the recipe to a 9L batch only added 5g for bittering rather than the 11g for the scale dumped it into the FV at 19°c.... it has balanced out pretty good which i cant be happier about, lacks a bit of aroma for a neipa but better than it being 159ibu
Cheers [emoji482]

Latest posts

Back