Help. I Added Finings Too Early.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychill

Reaction score
Early in the morning when my mind wasn't at it's best I gt up and added finings to 2 of my brews. They were the finings from Big W in the orange packet. I believe I have made 2 mistakes. First thing, I forgot to mix the finings with warm water, I've read tonight that you are meant to do this. Secondly I think I've added them too early, both brews are day 6 and both brews used a liquid wyeast (both ales) smackpack and fermentation on both of them got off to a quick start. One of the brews still had some "froth" on top (that one is in a coopers carby, so cannot tell you about airlock bubbling), the other had maybe a tiny little patch of bubbles still and the airlock bubbling about once an hour. I am worried that the finings may bring the yeast to the botom and stop fermentation prematurely, also how much of a difference wil it make that the finings were not mixed with warm water first?
A side note, just confirming Big W finings are gelatine, not isinglass right?
I aim on kegging these 2 brews and use my CO2 cylinder for carbonation. I have not taken any SG readings yet (I know, lazy)

Mate, when I first started brewing I was given some really shitty advice to just pour the dry finings through the airlock without hydrating them first :blink:

I did this a few times before I realised it made not difference at all. The beer turned out fine. But not fined.

Mate, when I first started brewing I was given some really shitty advice to just pour the dry finings through the airlock without hydrating them first :blink:

I did this a few times before I realised it made not difference at all. The beer turned out fine. But not fined.

I didn't try and pour them down the airlock, I took off the lid and sprinkled em all over the top.

You may get some globs of jelly in the bottom.

You'll have to suck it and see. Not much you can do but I wouldn't be tipping it out.

I tend to add finings (Gelatin) to the keg. No chance on stuffing up fermentation by using them then.

To edit this- I took the airlock out first :) Just down through the whole dry. That sounds dodgey...

Back