Help Advice Needed For Coopers Brew Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SydCrazi

Reaction score
Howdy all,

OK I am confused as hell which would seem impossible with a 'Brew Kit' I know,, but I'm over it, so should you be.. :blink:
Now this is what I need help with.. Fermentation of my first Coopers Larger Micro Brew Kit and is it finished?

The kit says 4-7 days. I have left it for 13 days and it is still not in the 'Green Band' of ready to go (1.005 to 1.000)

I checked on day 7 and it was at 1.014
I checked on day 9 and it was at 1.010
I checked on day 13 and it was at 1.010 (Side note, MUCH clearer now than on day 9)

Two consecutive readings are meant to mean it's done I have been told. But it ain't were it should be up too?
I read about 're-starting' your yeast or something online - Do I need to do that?
Should I just bottle as per stage two and add my carbonation drops and go for it?

Sounds good to go to me. Bonus leaving it a few more days, and you have observed, clearer beer. The yeast has also cleaned up after itself so will even taste a bit better.

Forget the color code on the hydrometer, your OG & FG are dependant on the ingredients you use. 1010 is a good FG for a standard kit & kilo

two Sg readings the same over 3 days, your right to go, bottle.
Do your self a favour...dont read the kit instructions.

Thanks heaps guys .. Feel much more warm and fuzzy about bottling.. Think I'll GO for it! :super:

Did have one last question.. Got a pack of unopened 'Carbonation Drops' was thinking of using that have been stored in a cool, dry place.
They have a 'Use By' date of September 2006 .. Do they really go 'off' as such .. I mean it's just sugar 73% and Glucose 27%..

Use em or go a new pack??

What was the recipie you followed, ie LDME / Dextrose / Sugar. I beleive there are a couple of spreadsheets floating around that you can plug your ingredients into and tell it what yeast you used, and calc an expected final gravity.

What temperature is it sitting on, it is pretty cold down your way at the moment.

QldKev

Thanks heaps guys .. Feel much more warm and fuzzy about bottling.. Think I'll GO for it! :super:

Did have one last question.. Got a pack of unopened 'Carbonation Drops' was thinking of using that have been stored in a cool, dry place.
They have a 'Use By' date of September 2006 .. Do they really go 'off' as such .. I mean it's just sugar 73% and Glucose 27%..

Use em or go a new pack??
For peace of mind buy a new pack, only three bucks or so.

But i would think they'd be ok to use. I mean, does sugar go off ??

What was the recipie you followed, ie LDME / Dextrose / Sugar. I beleive there are a couple of spreadsheets floating around that you can plug your ingredients into and tell it what yeast you used, and calc an expected final gravity.

What temperature is it sitting on, it is pretty cold down your way at the moment.

QldKev

Hey Qld Kev,

I used the Coppers Larger Can with the standard ALE yeast it comes with. Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 which is I think 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrin, 250g light dry malt.
Temperature has been cold down as low as 6 Degrees at night. Had electric blanket and jumper on me ferment bottle.

Don't take away my 'warm and fuzzy' for bottling?? Was getting all excited!

Hey Qld Kev,

I used the Coppers Larger Can with the standard ALE yeast it comes with. Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 which is I think 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrin, 250g light dry malt.
Temperature has been cold down as low as 6 Degrees at night. Had electric blanket and jumper on me ferment bottle.

I've found using a good dry yeast such as safale which operates down to 16 degrees and probably lower is the way to go. You have to buy seperately of course, but it can make a good kit beer better. You just dont get enough yeast with kit beers.

Also in cold conditions, if you get your starting wort at around 24 deg for your yeast, then wrap your fermenter in jumpers, your fermenting wort gives off its own heat and the jumpers keep that warmth in. My brews usually ferment constantly at around 18 degrees for the duration, even if its bloody cold in my kitchen.

Summer is a different proposition, its all about getting your fermenter down in temp. Thats were the can cooler bag and frozen bottles of water come in :icon_cheers:

Hey Qld Kev,

Here's one of the spreadsheets I was talking about
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=29655

I haven't plugged the numbers into it, but with BE2 I think you are ok to bottle. The 250g maltodextrin and 250g light dry malt will give you a higher final reading.
Also I would not expect the brew to ever get to 1.000. Just check the temp of the fermentor, the best thing you can do for your brewing at this stage is get a nice stable temp for the yeast.

ebay has little temp displays like this one evilbay $1.88 posted. Stick the probe to the outside of the fermentor and cover with foam or and crap to help insulate it. Then monitor your temps and keep it stable.

PS. I wouldn't bother with the sugar drops, for what they are worth chuck em and get some new ones.

QldKev

Back