Hello Guys and Gals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raz7au

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Whilst browsing for a kegerator i came across this site.
Very informative and helpful, seems there are some fantastic set ups out there.

I am here looking for some advice. On purchasing a kegerator.
I have myself a 50litre keg of coopers dark ale.

I have looked at several brands, on and off ebay.
I would only need a single font,

Question. What is the best temp to pour beer, As some kegerators can go down to -4 Degrees. Is this important???
Are the taps worthwhile or should i purchase something better???

Any help appreciated

Can anyone help with recommendations. I am located in wollongong, on the south coast of NSW.

Thanks everyone.
Rey

Hi Rey,

Different temperatures for different beer styles, and preferences (i.e. lagers are usually served colder than ales).

Whilst a lot of kegerators claim to go to certain temperatures, the actual temp they serve beer at can differ quite a bit. The good thing about a fridge with a colder (-4) option, compared to the standard 0-degree option is that at least you have a greater range to select.
My kegerator usually sits on 4-degrees in winter, 3 in summer but I'd imagine it would be pouring a few degrees warmer than what the fridge says.

I ended up changing the standard taps that came with mine to Perlick Flow Control taps. Perlick's "forward sealing" design is great, as it stops a lot of gunk building up in the tap - keeping them cleaner. The Flow Control feature also provides me with some control in the flow rate, particularly handy for the first pour - which can sometime be a bit foamy, due to the font being warmer than the fridge. I'd happily recommend these taps.

Sorry for the hijack, but Spiesy. When you upgraded the taps, was it just a straight swap or did you needs a diferent shank ???

Im just about to swap my perlic FCs from a standard fridge on to my kegerator

They are great taps, keen to get them installed....just wanted to make sure i dont run into any problems

Thank you for your reply spiesy,

Here are 2 from ebay, i have also checked keg king.com.au
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-TAP-BEER-FRIDGE-REFRIGERATOR-KEGERATOR-DISPENSER-COOLER-GOES-TO-0-DEG-/350917477660?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item51b44fc51c&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-TAP-KEG-BEER-FRIDGE-REFRIGER-ATOR-KEGERATOR-DISPENSER-COOLER-TEMPRITE-/301008299778?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item46157e2702&_uhb=1

2nd one is the same as the keg king but about $200 cheaper, I understand i still need to purchase a co2 bottle and possibly a different coupler.

Thought please
Rey

Hoppers said:
Sorry for the hijack, but Spiesy. When you upgraded the taps, was it just a straight swap or did you needs a diferent shank ???

Im just about to swap my perlic FCs from a standard fridge on to my kegerator

They are great taps, keen to get them installed....just wanted to make sure i dont run into any problems
Hi mate.

I don't think I needed new shanks, but I bought some anyway. The shanks that came with it were pretty cheap and nasty - I decided to throw some new stainless ones on whilst I was at it.

raz7au said:
Thank you for your reply spiesy,

Here are 2 from ebay, i have also checked keg king.com.au
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-TAP-BEER-FRIDGE-REFRIGERATOR-KEGERATOR-DISPENSER-COOLER-GOES-TO-0-DEG-/350917477660?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item51b44fc51c&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINGLE-TAP-KEG-BEER-FRIDGE-REFRIGER-ATOR-KEGERATOR-DISPENSER-COOLER-TEMPRITE-/301008299778?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item46157e2702&_uhb=1

2nd one is the same as the keg king but about $200 cheaper, I understand i still need to purchase a co2 bottle and possibly a different coupler.

Thought please
Rey
Hi Rey,

I have the fridge from the second link, although mine is the older model (and dual tap version).
Mine works a treat. Sure, I upgraded the taps, shanks, lines and bought a new regulator - but it was working fine before hand. No problems at all.
I reckon those font fans would be handy - still thinking about getting one of those sometime soon to help distribute the cooler air up the tower.

Looks like they now also come with a forward sealing tap - which is a bonus, although I haven't used said tap, so I can't speak of it's quality.

I have also shopped with both of these eBayers - no problems to report.

Latest posts

Back