Hello from NY!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddytrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just started my first solo batch of hard cider this week. My boyfriend is an avid home brewer (and actually opening his own brewery which should be open this spring) but I wanted a place to 'talk shop' that wasn't at home (or on his forum).
We've made beer together, some wine, and a few crude batches of hard cider. Now I'm cutting the proverbial chord and declared I was taking over his toys. I mean, he has to share his toys. And he's delighted I've taken an interest in his hobby.

Thanks for having me![emoji3]

G’day, I’m relatively new here myself but been made to feel welcome and have found people very willing to share knowledge and help.

It’s a long time since I’ve been to NYC, is the craft thing there big? Last place I visited in the US was Austin TX, I went into one bar that had 40+ taps in it. I didn’t want leave.

Welcome muddytrails. As SeeFar has stated this site is very welcoming and helpful. Have a look around, ask what you like and add your two bobs worth wherever.
Although helping to make beer do you enjoy it yourself or something else. Do you and your boyfriend like a particular style?
Cheers

Ps make him share his toys.

G’day, I’m relatively new here myself but been made to feel welcome and have found people very willing to share knowledge and help.

It’s a long time since I’ve been to NYC, is the craft thing there big? Last place I visited in the US was Austin TX, I went into one bar that had 40+ taps in it. I didn’t want leave.
I'm actually other end of the state just a rocks throw from Niagara Falls. But the craft beer movement here is just exploding. There are several places with 40+ on tap and it's heaven! We stop at every brewery we can, we do a lot of hiking so our travels often have pit stops. [emoji482]
Our town doesn't have a brewery yet so it is perfect timing. I'll be sure to share the excitement as we progress.

Welcome muddytrails. As SeeFar has stated this site is very welcoming and helpful. Have a look around, ask what you like and add your two bobs worth wherever.
Although helping to make beer do you enjoy it yourself or something else. Do you and your boyfriend like a particular style?
Cheers

Ps make him share his toys.
Personally I'll drink anything but a wheat beer (I'm quite sensitive to them)And iPa. Though I had a black ipa in Saranac N.Y. and liked it. I've found I like the English hops more also but I'll always take a porter or a stout or any dark beer for that matter any day.
He just brewed a Belgium dubel that is top of my list these days. I'm learning for sure and I'm glad to be here.

Welcome Muddytrails!

I'm originally from central Upstate NY, and went to the University of Buffalo.

I now live in Australia. I've owned a craft beer bar here for over 9 years, I just started brewing commercially this year, and am in my 3rd year of growing hops.

Best of luck to you both!

I spent a couple of weeks in NYC and upstate last year and the brewery scene was phenomenal compared to the scale of the (super fast growing) Australian scene. Going to spend some more time up that way next year, mostly in Mass and VT, really looking forward to finding more delicious beer & people who love brewing it!

Best of luck with your hard cider & other adventures. Can you share any information on your other half's commercial brewing plans?

I was also in New York last year, as was spog later in the year, I expect there has been quite a few from here has visited NY. You maybe a contact for future visitors from AHB to point them to which bars and breweries to visit.

I was also in New York last year, as was spog later in the year, I expect there has been quite a few from here has visited NY. You maybe a contact for future visitors from AHB to point them to which bars and breweries to visit.
I will always be happy to suggest a brewery! We travel the the Adirondaks a few times a year which isn't far from the "big" city or the NY line.

I'll start a thread soon on the commercial brewery progress. I'm quite new to all this so I'm not confident i can be entertaining.
Welcome Muddytrails!

I'm originally from central Upstate NY, and went to the University of Buffalo.

I now live in Australia. I've owned a craft beer bar here for over 9 years, I just started brewing commercially this year, and am in my 3rd year of growing hops.

Best of luck to you both!

Around these parts any story of someone having a go from home brewer to pro brewer is both entertaining & welcome. Good Luck!
Is your Cider sweet or dry?

Latest posts

Back