Newbie from Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insolentfool

Reaction score
G'day guys and gals, I bought a mangrove jack's homebrew kit and I'm excited to start making myself fat and drunk while saving cash.

Already bottled my first batch, just waiting on it to mature. Cracked one open once it was carbonated and had a drink, tastes like molassas at the moment but I'm guessing this is what people refer to as "green". Looking forward to sharing it with some mates once it matures.

I'm planning to make up another batch this week, Ill be having a go at cider this time and I've just got one question to ask where do you people source your bottles? I find it hard to swallow that another lot of 30 750's is going to cost me almost $40 which seems a bit steep for plastic.

I have some contacts in a glass/plastic wholesaler so im going to contact them, but I had a look at kmart/coles/dan murphies and it seems like a lot of them are getting out of selling homebrew lately and its hard to find anything in the major stores. I don't mind buying from my local homebrew shop for a little while while im asking advice but It's not cheap to shop there on an ongoing basis.

Gday. Sounds like it didn't ferment, but don't take my word for it. I am a noob too.

it is carbonated though, did you take gravity readings insolentfool

Insolentfool said:
G'day guys and gals, I bought a mangrove jack's homebrew kit and I'm excited to start making myself fat and drunk while saving cash.

Already bottled my first batch, just waiting on it to mature. Cracked one open once it was carbonated and had a drink, tastes like molassas at the moment but I'm guessing this is what people refer to as "green". Looking forward to sharing it with some mates once it matures.

I'm planning to make up another batch this week, Ill be having a go at cider this time and I've just got one question to ask where do you people source your bottles? I find it hard to swallow that another lot of 30 750's is going to cost me almost $40 which seems a bit steep for plastic.

I have some contacts in a glass/plastic wholesaler so im going to contact them, but I had a look at kmart/coles/dan murphies and it seems like a lot of them are getting out of selling homebrew lately and its hard to find anything in the major stores. I don't mind buying from my local homebrew shop for a little while while im asking advice but It's not cheap to shop there on an ongoing basis.
You haven't mentioned what beer you fermented in your new MJ's homebrew kit? More info would help here.
"Molasses" sounds like you're doing a stout or similar?
Been a while since I purchased the Coopers plastic bottles but they're under 750ml. The good news is that they should cost $15 or so for a box of 30 at Big Dub IIRC???
Have a look at other HBS as a lot of them usually sell 750ml tallies for around $12 or so a dozen & yes, glass is better than plastic. :D
You local scouting group or your recycle place at the dump should sell tallies pretty cheap too.
Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back