Hello from new brewer in Castle Hill, Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJS2154

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Anthony, I live at Castle Hill in Sydney's north west.

I was once a very active home brewer who essentially stopped because I had a busy job... and children came along. It became much easier to buy the occasional carton.

Of the 3 children I have been blessed to have, one is now 20 years old and bringing his rubgy mates over for after game BBQs and pre-evening-out beers. I love having the young guys and their friends over, but they can consume some relatively expensive beer in alarmingly short periods. I thought it time to teach my oldest bloke a life skill, and save some money on brewing our own.

If it only came down to the money I would stick with buying beer........home brewed beer has always been about making beautiful product at a reasonable price. Can't think of a better excuse to kick off again.

I recently attended a brewing course with Vince Costanso, which was wonderful. This time round I am using that new-fangled BIAB technique... and we will see what happens.

A couple of brews in and very happy.

I love a hoppie lager and could happily fill a wading pool in Aussie Brewery dark ale and try and drain it in an afternoon! Love that beer.

I thought I would say thank you in advance for the answers to my dumb questions, thanks for the funny comments, and thanks for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm. I know there will be plenty of knowledge transfers.....I susppect mainly inbound to me, and scarcely outward bound to the community. But hey, I will try.

All the best, Anthony

Welcome back to the fold Anthony!

Loads of great information on here, make good use of the search function and you'll find a trove.

Welcome aboard, you'll find great help and good on you pitching in on the bulk buy, great way to put some names to faces!

Thanks Kit Master.....looking forward to making a couple of new mates with similar interests. Appreciate the warm welcome. Anthony

Is Castle Hill near Pendle Hill? Because I had a night out there once and the locals got violent.

I hear you with the young chaps. I'm a year or 2 behind you but the day is coming.

It is about 20min in the car from Pendle Hill i'd say.

As a young chap, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, empty....appreciate a welcome from a young chap, very kind thanks.

Lincoln, Pendle Hill is about 20 minutes or so from Castle Hill. I spose trouble is everywhere. I drive through Pendle Hill everyday on my way to and from work. Never looks like a place where there would be too much trouble to me. Maybe you were unlucky.

See you.

Anthony

A son who plays rugby... What a legend! Sounds like you've raised a top bloke. Best of luck for your brewing, can't wait to see how some of your brews go :)

There are quite a few members just around the corner from you. I know there was a member's map but I'm on the phone so can't link for you. If you check the events thread from the home page there is an up comming swap for Sydney/NSW 20/6/2015 sure if you drop the host a pm he'd be more than happy to see a new member join us. Good luck with the brew. I have this fancy recirculating brauclone but still
biab my single batches goes well in my book!

MB

Gday AJS,
Im pretty close by so if you ever want a hand or borrow some hops or grain let me know. I have a 3v setup but dabble in BIAB so if you need any advice you can PM me. The Aussie Brewery has a "Meet the Brewer" night once a month on a Friday so maybe swing by and nave a chat with Neal if you need expert advice.

Roastin,

Thanks mate, appreciate the offer. Also happy to help out as I can mate.

I will get out to the Aussie Brewery to meet the brewer....love their dark larger. I have an objective of making one that is an acceptable immitation one day. Perhaps Neal will give me a few pointers.

Thanks for the welcome, perhaps a quiet beer at the Castle Hill risole some time?

When (if) the thread opens for the Castle Hill 2015 show HB comp opens, stick your hand up to steward (to not a!). Brilliant bunch of lads and you might be able to stagger home from the Showgrounds

(Edit: HTF does 'you might be' become 'Iggy' via auto correct?0)

I unfortunately sent a text to a (platonic) lady friend "See you there if you are aroused" instead of around.

Castle Hill show is brilliant, you'll meet many of the local brewers and are more than welcome to sample from the half full bottles that get returned to the kitchen from the judging tables to learn about the full range of styles.

I stewarded one of the days last year and learned quite a bit about the whole judging arena. Tasted some great beers and some pretty horrid ones. Much respect to the judges, not an easy job. Will definitely try again this year if it goes ahead and I'm around.

Sounds like a great event lads. Would love to be there for the Castle Hill show......combination of my favourite things in one convenient package: friendly competition and beer. Does it get better than that?

I will keep my eyes out.

Bribie G said:
I unfortunately sent a text to a (platonic) lady friend "See you there if you are aroused" instead of around.

Castle Hill show is brilliant, you'll meet many of the local brewers and are more than welcome to sample from the half full bottles that get returned to the kitchen from the judging tables to learn about the full range of styles.
Bribie, that error on the SMS could have had either catastrophic implications.....or plenty of pleasant unexpected upsides. Given you didn't elaborate you are obviously a gentleman. Made me laugh though!

Anthony,
I'm also in Castle Hill. Moved from Adelaide a few years ago where I knew a lot of the local brewers and helped with the state comp but so far have not met the brewers in the NW.
If you want to catch up for a beer sometime let me know. I would also be willing to help with the local CH show comp but wouldn't know who to contact.
Sam

I am sure the locals will be so kind as to let us know Sam......I will keep my ears low to the ground too. I have previously heard about how good it was, so will have to make sure I go this year.

BTW, if you like a good dark ale occasionally, then the Aussie Brewery at Rouse Hill would be my choice, although a few beers and a game of footie at the Castle Hill RSL is also a great night out. I am out of action for the next couple of weekends, but would be pleased to catch up after then mate.

Back