Hello From A Newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if your going to pick on us Ozzy Redneck Hayseeds you need to get the terminology right we are known as "Bogans"! Reserve Rednecks for the yanks. See here for future reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

I myself am a self confessed Club "Cashed Up Logan Bogan" Yes we can't spell either but you should see how we can roll a car and remove a diff in the front yard in under 3 years!

Chap Chap (Logan Bogan and Proud! )

<snip from wiki>

The term has been used in reference to people living in the Logan region in Queensland. This is mainly because Logan happens to rhyme with bogan. Following the outcomes of Queensland Local Government reform, areas that moved from Beaudesert Shire to Logan City Council gained the label bogan from combining the words Beaudesert and Logan. Irrespective of the precise origins of the term, people of this region have been perceived as being typical of the stereotype.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only thing Chap Chap is missing is the Mullet.

:icon_offtopic: er...what was this thread about...

Bubbling had all but stopped this morning. Reading is 1018, so maybe a little further to go?

I've just learnt another lesson.... When I pick the brew pot out of the bath, the pot flexes and the air lock bubbles backwards and I'm sure a small splash of water dropped in to the mix. Fingers crossed for no problems from this. In future should I remove the air lock first? I know I'm supposed to keep the air out, but is it safer to remove the airlock and let a little air in, rather than let some drops of water in?

:icon_offtopic: er...what was this thread about...

Bubbling had all but stopped this morning. Reading is 1018, so maybe a little further to go?

I've just learnt another lesson.... When I pick the brew pot out of the bath, the pot flexes and the air lock bubbles backwards and I'm sure a small splash of water dropped in to the mix. Fingers crossed for no problems from this. In future should I remove the air lock first? I know I'm supposed to keep the air out, but is it safer to remove the airlock and let a little air in, rather than let some drops of water in?

Jeezus Mark! I had this thread all but completely derailed and you bring it back on topic! <_<

If you got any in your wort the game is over and you need to start again! Nah I can't do it to ya. I'll be fine but next time fill the bubbler with either No Rinse Sanitiser OR a clean spirit like vodka. Makes sure any nasties caught in the airlock are d.e.a.d. and prevents infections getting in.

Cheers

Chappo

From Coventry.

Gday Mark,

welcome to the forum, I lived just up the A5 in Hinckley for about 6 years, you ever get to any of the pubs around that way ?

In used to drink in the Barley Sheaf, The Plough, The Duke, The Greyhound, The Galaxy, also frequented a few pubs in Earl Shilton, The Nelson, The King William (Bill) and the Three Tuns.

cheers
Dave

Gday Mark,

welcome to the forum, I lived just up the A5 in Hinckley for about 6 years, you ever get to any of the pubs around that way ?

In used to drink in the Barley Sheaf, The Plough, The Duke, The Greyhound, The Galaxy, also frequented a few pubs in Earl Shilton, The Nelson, The King William (Bill) and the Three Tuns.

cheers
Dave

Dont remember the name, been in one on the A5 a few times on the intersection with wolvey road.
Used to get in the Phesant in Withybrook with my parents.

Hey Mark, fellow GC brewer here with a good tip for you. I know a local bloke who sells 2nd hand fridges for approx $50. Couple that with a $50 fridgemate from craftbrewer and your set to brew at whatever temp whenever :)

Search for AAAA second hand furniture 4216, that'll find him ;p

OR a clean spirit like vodka.

I have heard that doing this can attract vinegar flies.

I either use no rinse or just keep the airlock empty and wind some glad wrap around it. A rubber band can be used to secure the glad if you need to.

+1 for no rinse (starsan)

Still at 1018 again today. Its seems to have stopped.

Is this too high?

What can I do to start things going again?

Is it safe to bottle at this level?

The brew enhancer will push the kit to finish a bit higher than a straight kilo of dex would but I reckon it should go lower.

Firstly while you want to bottle and drink your beer asap (especially your first) it's best not to rush it. The rate of fermentation does slow right fown towards the end - sometimes you can get a 1060 brew down to 1020 in 3 days and then wait longer than that just to get to 1014. There's no harm in waiting but there is potential harm in bottling too early.

Secondly, the brew may be stalled. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl and wait a couple more days. Usually it's suggested allowing it to warm a little but as your temps are already quite high, I'd avoid that.

Thirdly, even if a brew has finished fermenting, you can improve the quality of the end result by letting it sit on the yeast for a bit longer. I always leave my beers for about 5-7 days after I've reached final gravity. The yeast will clean up some of the unwanted products it made during fermentation. I would suggest that being patient with it at this point may even help get rid of some of the nasties that may have come from high fermentation temperatures.

Do a google search on 'aussiehomebrewer stalled ferment' or 'aussiehomebrewer stalled fermentation' for more tips on how to rouse one.

1018 sounds a little high still, for the coopers kit and brew enhancer I would still expect to see at least 1014. As Manticle said give it more time to see if it drops more. I have had brews where I have gently swirled the fermenter twice a day in order to rouse the yeast and coax it into finishing where it should. If you are bottling in glass and you bottle too early you stand a very real chance of having exploding bottles with flying glass.

Gavo.

Thanks guys.

I'll give it a swirl and stick some more ice blocks in the bath. Probably check again on Sunday then.

I have PET bottles with the kit. So no problems with Glass going every where....

Mark

Down to 1015 now, so slowly getting there. Tastes/Smells ok too now, just like flat beer....

See how patience is rewarded when making beer?

Yeah, but I can only put up with this XXXX for so long.

I miss Pedigree, Wadworth 6x, Old Speckled Hen, Hob Goblin etc etc.....

You must live in a woeful part of the world. I just finished a Belhaven St Andrew's ale and there's an empty bottle of old speckled hen right in front of me.

This means buying more fermenters and brewing more regularly.

+1 for no rinse (starsan)

Yeah, but I can only put up with this XXXX for so long.

I miss Pedigree, Wadworth 6x, Old Speckled Hen, Hob Goblin etc etc.....

If you get up to Brisbane and head for the couple of UK themed pubs like the Elephant and Wheelbarrow or the Pig n Whistle You can often find Wells Bombardier and Speckled Hen on tap, as well as Tetleys - although they are the nitro keg variety of course but still palatable. Also if you get to the Breakfast Creek Hotel they still do XXXX from the wood - it's a non pasteurised version served on gravity at a reasonable temperature and shows what they are capable of if they pull their fingers out and act as craftsmen rather than just a mega factory outfit. The casked version definitely holds its own with anything in a James Squire pub.

If you get up to Brisbane and head for the couple of UK themed pubs like the Elephant and Wheelbarrow or the Pig n Whistle You can often find Wells Bombardier and Speckled Hen on tap...

Spotted a pig and Whistle today in the pedestrial part. Apparently it was the wrong one....

Amyway brew is down to 1013 and steady so going to bottle tonight. Mrs wants the bath cleaned before the estate agent does an inspection tomorrow....

Latest posts

Back