Hello from a new member

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdawson

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been brewing for 30 years and have progressed from kit to extract to all grain brew in the bag.
How things have changed in that time and looking back in my notebooks I get quite nostalgic.
My fist brew in 1986 was a Coopers Draught kit with dry yeast thrown on the top in the fermenter.
As a young poor student I recall brewing with mates , bottling and waiting for the resulting fizzy flavourless but alcoholic brew.
One particular memory is taking my girl out to on a special date with accompanying bottles (too defray the cost) and having a snooty waiter opening a bottle at the table with the usual gushing overflow.
In 1994 kegs changed my life.
Keeping fermentation temp was always problematic with electric blankets/water baths with aquarium heaters/ice baths when i forgot to check every 12 hours. And summer was always a bummer.
Moving on to the present I now ferment in two dedicated fridges with heat pads and Brewmate controllers.Set and forget!
Brew in the bag is a great way to go, though inefficient, grain is quite inexpensive.
My usual brews are my IPA, Porter and Rye developed over many years experimentation but am keen to check out what other members are doing.
Cheers to all and looking forward to reading what's going on out there.
Hadrian.

Welcome Hadrian, lot of good things here. Great that your still brewing after 30 years, favourite style/s.
Cheers

Hi H, brewing stories of the past are always interesting. A mate of mine used to make god awful piss which he bottled in 1lt fruit juice glass bottles like orchy or something I can't remember. But we used to get good and pissed on that stuff and I'm sort of amazed none of them ever exploded and blinded us poor demented fools. Mostly brew British brown ales or goldens. There's lot's of styles to choose and plenty of room to experiment.

Latest posts

Back