Hello From A Newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a school friend whose mother was French Algerian. His parents intended to call him Ian (pronounced Y-aan in French accent which is always sexy) but they were told it would be more like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean here so they called him Pierre instead.
:icon_offtopic: totally off topic but when I lived in Turkey they said that "Michael" sounded really ugly so I was re-christened (or re-muslimised) as "Murat ag bey" which translates as big brother who is a serious scholar. Floated my boat :icon_cheers:

MarkMc what was the beer scene like in Coventry? Last time I was in Coventry was to buy some parts for my Triumph Herald so that dates me :p :p

I had a school friend whose mother was French Algerian. His parents intended to call him Ian (pronounced Y-aan in French accent which is always sexy) but they were told it would be more like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean here so they called him Pierre instead.

:icon_offtopic: Quite right, Pee-hair sounds sooo much betterer. :ph34r:

MarkMc what was the beer scene like in Coventry? Last time I was in Coventry was to buy some parts for my Triumph Herald so that dates me :p :p

Whats a "Triumph Herald"? :p haha only kidding

Beer scene is not too bad, The usual chain/brewery owned pubs serving the usual crap. My local The Bigginhall Used to be really good for beers/ales, but its a bit of a dump now.

Some friends of a friend had such a good time in Belgium they started to import the stuff and opened a great little bar in the end of an old church the called it "Inspire" great place, imported bottled beer from all over europe. The place is a little pricey but always packed. In the winter its a small inside area and outside is a massive brolly with long sides and a few heaters. In the summer they massively expand across the pavement. Really miss that place.

Apart from that it was a trip to a country pub for dinner and a few pints (I mean gallon) of the good stuff.

How long have you been downunder?

:icon_offtopic: Quite right, Pee-hair sounds sooo much betterer. :ph34r:

Well if he'd been my son I would have called him Barry or George or Samantha but I had no say in the matter.

Also being French, they were a little bit 'jou-jou monsieur sweetie d'en so go ah ha ha oui oui avec du pate' if you know what I mean.

(Also very off topic)

Arrived here about the time that they were sacking Gough Whitlam and when Australian cars looked like this

xb_falcon.jpg

Actually that car beat the crapper out of the

Triumph_Herald_1200_1968.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Arrived here about the time ..... when Australian cars looked like this

So last week then?

Back on topic, when I bottle this fruitly brew, do I need to keep the bottles down to 20 degrees for a few weeks?

Can I leave them in the back room (30 degrees)?

I guess I cannot throw them in the fridge at 4 degrees yet?

So last week then?

Back on topic, when I bottle this fruitly brew, do I need to keep the bottles down to 20 degrees for a few weeks?

Can I leave them in the back room (30 degrees)?

I guess I cannot throw them in the fridge at 4 degrees yet?

I keep all my bottled stock in the garage where it can get to mid 30s and no problems, as long as you keep them in the dark. :icon_cheers:

I'd think that idealy mid-twenties or lower would be best (and dark), don't sweat it just do the best you can. Maybe under the house if that is an option, its a bit like storing wine really.

Maybe under the house if that is an option

Its one of these new builds on a concrete slab, mind you the amount of ants that are under there, I think there must be a cellar of some sort under there.

I think, back in the box and in one of the cooler bedrooms it is then.

eeyup lad, which part of Pomland are you from?
a duvet ['doonah'.. Australians can't say French words] then this system will

Just to keep our immigrant brother on the straight and narrow:

"In Australia, a duvet or down quilt is often called a "Doona", which is a genericized trademark (registered to the Tontine Group) which is derived from the equivalent common Scandinavian term dyne and popularized by the retailer IKEA in the 1970s. Originally the term continental quilt was the standard name used across Australia, and some regions continue to use this term."

In much the same way English people have trouble with "vacuum cleaner" prefering the manufacturers name. And I'd say aim a fan at the fermenter once you've put the towel/tee shirt on top.

Hope you are hoovering up this information :icon_cheers:

I once used to go down a laneway OS where hoovering meant an entirely different thing.
Err what was this thread about anyway, sorry been drinking Belgians :icon_drunk:

Apparently the word "Doonah" was coined by the Australian Soft Furnishings Association in the 1970s because at that time they considered that the Australian Redneck Hayseeds at that time would be very embarrassed to have to pronounce Duvet as doo-vay as opposed to duvvut - note the fact that many Aussies used to pronounce cans of champignon mushrooms as 'cham pig nong' .. and even to this day many Catholics still refer to "Xavier" (who comes up often in St Xavier's colleges etc around Australia) as Ex - Avior . cringe cringe cringe.

You cheeky Pommy Git! Here's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black! :angry:
Only the Poms, Yorkies, Gourdies etc can butcher their own Queens language aye?

Now Doonahs are something ya throw over Donnas head when ya have farted to play Doonah dutch ovens. Duvet Dutch Ovens just sound plain gay.

'cham pig nong' is posh food that you 'ave with Passion Pop or Champ pag nay or a squirt of Chard donnay and or Cart du board. Sheesh and we're unedumecated FFS!

Ex-Avior is only used to piss the Micks off. Otherwise it's pronounced Ex Arviors. Not having the R in there sounds gay.

Now if your going to pick on us Ozzy Redneck Hayseeds you need to get the terminology right we are known as "Bogans"! Reserve Rednecks for the yanks. See here for future reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

I myself am a self confessed Club "Cashed Up Logan Bogan" :lol: Yes we can't spell either but you should see how we can roll a car and remove a diff in the front yard in under 3 years!

And we have our own TV show which craps all over "East Enders", "The Bill" and "Little Brittain"

Bogan-Pride.jpg

Plus we have a total sub class of Bogan we term MeYaAndYouse
as in
Wheres me beer
Fook ya ur a hotty wanna root in the commadoor?
And
You'se guys need to steal another car!

Chap Chap (Logan Bogan and Proud! :super: )

:icon_offtopic:

I myself am a self confessed Club "Cashed Up Logan Bogan" :lol: Yes we can't spell either but you should see how we can roll a car and remove a diff in the front yard in under 3 years!

Chap Chap (Logan Bogan and Proud! :super: )

HaHa I can relate to that, but I had the old skiboat with flat tyres on the trailer in the front yard and parked the car out the front cause there was no room in the garage cause that was where the half finished new boat was. Ah those were the days.

Now after the tree change I try to keep the front yard clear for plants and stuff.

Oh and Back on topic, Get a fridge and a tempmate ASAP, make it a resolution for 2010, there is nothing like set and forget temp controled fermentation.

Cheers
Gavo

Latest posts

Back